• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sponsoring an adoptive parent (convoluted case)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmix12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA / Federal

I am a naturalized US citizen. My adoptive mother is the last one of my immediate family left alive. I am an only child. I help my mother with almost everything as her mobility is extremely limited. Since my father's passing 12 years ago, I am keeping here here in th US with me, taking her back home every 6 months and back after 10 days or so stay over there. There are no violations of her visa conditions. She has never overstayed her maximum allowable stay period. A copule of time, I extended her visa and a couple of other times her extension requests have been denied and I took her back in less than 30 days from the date of denial.

Last two entries into the US was problematic and they are asking me to apply for her permanent residency. I investigated this option but since my adoption took place after my 16th birthday, due to an absent biological mother (otherwise I was in my adoptive mom's care since I was 9 or 10 and can prove this with witnesses in my home country) I am unable to sponsor her.

My main question : Is there any other way than sponsoring a parent by a US citizen because he or she is a parent ? Such as a humanitarian reason for her being the last living person and not other help available to her or any other way that you can think of ?

Me second question : The first option of sponsoring or filing for her visa some other way failing,can I still apply for her and delay the processing of th visa by *un*intentionally forgetting to send some supporting documents and such, for a few years. She is 83. As much as I wish her to be alive for another 80 years, realistically speaking, she is not going to be around much longer. I want her last days to be spent in peace and by my side. Having said that, I will still need to take her back about once a year or so, to get her medical checkups and everything done, as she has no insurance in the US and nobody wants to insure her at this age.

Any suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

Not to sound unsympathetic but at her age, she will likely start incurring the need for emergency health care. Allowing her to stay in the US will make her a public charge. By definition she is targeted for removal to avoid costs being transferred to the US gov't. I suggest you return her home and hire live in care or move there temporarily.

pmix12

Not to sound unsympathetic but at her age, she will likely start incurring the need for emergency health care. Allowing her to stay in the US will make her a public charge. By definition she is targeted for removal to avoid costs being transferred to the US gov't. I suggest you return her home and hire live in care or move there temporarily.
Well, I virtually live in Northern Mexico and please don't mention me US government footing the bill for medical care of people who contributed nothing to this economy. I have been living in the states much longer and have paid my taxes and never took my mother to an ER for "free" healthcare, like most illegal immigrants around me do. And since I am the person who will sponsor her at the end, I am at the end of the rope for her medical expenses, should something come up. Still, not looking for free ride off the back of US taxpayers. So, your point is moot.

And since you don't know the living situation in my home country for a senior citizen, living alone, and the difficulty of finding reliable and trustable local help, you need to take my word for it. I havebeen looking into that option for at least 10 years maybe more. Not happening unfortunately. Needless to say, I was raised in household with eastern hemisphere values, where a parent or an elderly member of the family is cherished, not left to die in a assisted living facility, like it is done here in the US.

Moving there is an option I am considering already but due to my financial obligations here, it is not an option for at least another 4 or 5 years. Salary here vs salary there is huge. There is no way that I can pay my dues here while working there. This is why I am in a bind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">