• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Status Extension or Change of Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FiguringOut

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC

My girlfriend of two years and I are thinking about getting married this summer in the US. She's a US Citizen, I am currently on an OPT status which expires June 15, 2010. Is there anyway we can extend my status so I will still be in a "legal" status come July or August when we are thinking about having our wedding? Thank you.

KP

ImmigAttyLana

No, but if you will get married, any unlawful presence will be forgiven and you will be able to adjust status without any problems. Additionally, if you want to be able to not have any gaps in employment authorization or unlawful presence, you can get married officially (civil) now and file all the paperwork and then have the actual wedding and party, etc. for friends and family later in the summer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">