• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stem OPT ends Nov and Advn degree starts Jan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supriyabharath9

Hi All,
I have been working a full-time job in CA based on my OPT F1 visa. I was not picked in the H1B lottery this year. I am already on my stem extension and OPT expires on 30th Nov 2015. I would like to continue working so I thought about enrolling as a student in college that provides CPT from day one. Unfortunately the Fall 2015 admissions are closed and I can enroll only for Spring 2016 batch. The classes would start on 25th Jan, 2016. I know that students can enter USA 30 days before the classes commence. Which means I will be in F1 status from 21st Dec 2015. This leaves a gap between 1st Dec and 20th Dec 2015. I also came to know that students can be in the country 60 days after their visa expires. So my question is if I can be in the country legally between 1st Dec and 20th Dec 2015 without converting to H4?

t74

CPT is only available as an integral part of an educational program and not for working an arbitrary job. Colleges offering this option are often scams with useless degrees.

You would be better served by returning home and getting real experience and returning either with that employer or with the additional experience needed by a US employer. Attending a school for CPT alone will create more problems for you than you could imagine as the USCIS is blacklisting schools participating in the CPT immigration fraud scheme.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">