• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student couple, US citizen with F1, not enough income for I-864

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dreamiash

My fiancé (US citizen) and I (F1) will get married in the city hall soon and start GC application. My fiancé has been a student for the last 5 years. His income, including scholarship and some gig payments by personal checks, doesn't meet poverty guideline threshold. He also never filed the tax because it's less than what's required to file tax return. He has no loan but some music instruments (cellos and bows) that worth $100,000 can be certificated and about 20,000 saving in bank. Can those be counted as "assets"? Will the absence of tax-filing affect the application? We have his parents (both work for government and his dad in military) as our cosponsors. But can they take full responsibility (affidavit of support) for me? We plan not to have the reception to save money. Will the city hall wedding be enough to show with other evidences? Thanks!

sandyclaus

My fiancé (US citizen) and I (F1) will get married in the city hall soon and start GC application. My fiancé has been a student for the last 5 years. His income, including scholarship and some gig payments by personal checks, doesn't meet poverty guideline threshold. He also never filed the tax because it's less than what's required to file tax return. He has no loan but some music instruments (cellos and bows) that worth $100,000 can be certificated and about 20,000 saving in bank. Can those be counted as "assets"? Will the absence of tax-filing affect the application? We have his parents (both work for government and his dad in military) as our cosponsors. But can they take full responsibility (affidavit of support) for me? We plan not to have the reception to save money. Will the city hall wedding be enough to show with other evidences? Thanks!
If your sponsor cannot meet the financial requirements, then you can have an unrelated person serve as co-sponsor. As the father-in-law is not directly related to you, they cannot be your sole sponsor.

Read more about joint sponsorship here:
http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-support/joint-sponsor.html

OHRoadwarrior

How are you planning to have your marriage on a non immigrant visa waived? I doubt cellos and bows can be easily be assigned a value that can easily be converted to cash and therefore do not count as assets.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Do your own research if you do not know immigration law. I don't provide citations to allow illegal or loophole illegal immigration. You should now that by now. All the regular posters like Pro, CBG etc do.
Marriage on a non-immigrant visa is not a reason for inadmissibility, therefore no waiver is required.

Proserpina

Marriage on a non-immigrant visa is not a reason for inadmissibility, therefore no waiver is required.

Yeap. Absolutely correct.

The trouble starts when you enter the country on a non-immigrant visa with the intention of marrying and adjusting status.

Entering as a student and meeting the person of your dreams two years later isn't even close.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">