• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student VISA for Public High School Confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SPrice26

I have a question that I really need help with. My boss' 16 yr old neice is planning to come over here with her father from Singapore this December. The father is coming over here with a tourist VISA and will be staying with my boss.

My question is: what form of VISA will she need in order to begin studying in a public High School, specifically in Milpitas, California? Most of the online help I have read mentions the I-20, but unfortunately, the Milpitas Unified School District does not welcome and will not process the I-20. I also heard from another source that she will not need any form of VISA because she is a minor.

Would someone please help me settle this and let me know the proper form of VISA, if any, for her to apply. I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

-Henry

JETX

I do have to ask....

If the father is coming over as a TOURIST, why is she even planning on going to school here?? I have never enrolled any of my family in another location while on VACATION!!!

Or is this just another plan to get someone here so that they can 'hide in the masses' and never leave??

S

SPrice26

Thank you lawrat and Halket for your responses.

I now have a clear understanding of the requirements involved for the student to come over and study. From what I have learned, she must come over with an I-20/F-1 VISA and study in a private school, because there is a law that prohibits a foreign national student from studying at a public school for more than 12 months.

Now, here's my next question. What form of VISA will the father need to apply for in order to stay with her while she studies?? FYI, the two will be living with my former boss. And no, we are not trying to "hide in the masses and never leave". We're just looking for answers, that's all.

Thank you and hope to hear from someone soon.

JETX

Now, let me see....
First it was Dad with a tourist visa and needing a 'secondary' visa for his daughter to go to school here.

Now, it is daughter going to school, and Dad needing a 'secondary' visa to stay while daughter is in school.

And, be assured that this isn't some kind of immigration visa scam!

Methinks something seems fishy here!!!

Sounds to me like the only plan here is to get to the good old US of A!!!

Contact the local consulate in Singapore (Great country by the way!!). Be sure to tell them... "We really have no idea what to do or how to do it... we just want to go to AMERICA so we can have FREEDOM and make Big Money and never have to go back!"

LegalBeagle

'Dad' can not stay here in the US just to look after his child while she goes to school.

Child can not attend any school whilst on a tourist visa.

JETX

It just doesn't seem right that someone from another country can get a visa for a child to attend school over here (I guess any grade) with someone elses local property tax dollars, then be allowed to get a visa for the parents to also come here to be with the child!!

What a country!!!! No wonder we have so many illegals here!

LegalBeagle

Well, luckily, they can not. Even if the child gets a student visa, they still have to financially support themselves and the dad will not be allowed to stay beyond his tourist visa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">