• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a Waiver for living in USA for over 20 years to become a US citizen??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

makettle

To whom this may concern,

I married a GI in Europe, and then we came State side in 1988.
We had 2 children ( who are now of age)
And then got divorced and I remarried to a US citizen.

I had a permanent green card which had no expiration date on it.
We decided to get my card updated in case of travel. But we found out that now on my card is a expiration date on it.
We are of course not happy with this since we paid $450.00 for just a name change, not a expiration date with it.

Now since I have lived here in the USA for over 22 years is there a waiver or something to become a US citizen.
I read, write and speak very good English. But to do the test is something else as I am not that young to know all the government , since my own kids don't even know it let alone my husband.

I know that I missed the Reagan amnesty but still for living here, there is somehow some waiver is there not??

Please tell me what we are to do for me to become a US citizen without all this testing and such.
We are grateful for your help and understanding..

Proserpina

We decided to get my card updated in case of travel. But we found out that now on my card is a expiration date on it.
We are of course not happy with this since we paid $450.00 for just a name change, not a expiration date with it.

Now since I have lived here in the USA for over 22 years is there a waiver or something to become a US citizen.
I read, write and speak very good English. But to do the test is something else as I am not that young to know all the government , since my own kids don't even know it let alone my husband.

I know that I missed the Reagan amnesty but still for living here, there is somehow some waiver is there not??

Please tell me what we are to do for me to become a US citizen without all this testing and such.

Your residency does not have an expiration date; it's simply the card which does.

Frankly, the test is the least important thing. Study up! There are support groups online and even books available.

LdiJ

The Reagan amnesty never applied to you because you were a legal greencard holder. You were present in the country legally and did not need amnesty...and do not need amnesty now. The Reagan amnesty also did not give people citizenship, it gave them green cards that later allowed them to apply for citizenship.

You have two choices, study up and become a citizen (which you can easily do based on 22 years of holding a green card) or you can simply renew your green card before its expiration date...and keep doing that for the rest of your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">