• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer from company A to Company B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vrjain

Hello Lana,

This seems to be a very informative and active forum.
Here is my question.

I am working for a company A which has applied for my H-1B visa (April 2014). I wish to make a switch as soon as I get one. Lets say I get an offer from company B - a couple cases 1) May 2014 2) July 2014

If I get in May, and my new employer is filing the visa if the quota is there, can the visa with company A be cancelled? Will they charge me according to you?

If I get the new offer in July 2014, and I have my H1B approval notice, can I transfer immediately to the Company B (who is ready to transfer/sponsor the visa) or would I have to wait until Oct 1st to get it transferred. In these posts I am hearing a lot about pay-stubs, would I need to wait for some time with Comp A to get these pay-stubs after H1B approval?

t74

You may have an employment contract with A that would subject you to financial penalties if you do not appear for work as contracted to do.

vrjain

Thank you for the response

I am a full time employee. What would be the clause in the contract to look for. While signing the contract there was none that I can remember of. Can they automatically impose a clause by applying my H-1B? How much would the financial penalty be approximately?

Last edited:

lisaanderson05

Hello Lana,

This seems to be a very informative and active forum.
Here is my question.

I am working for a company A which has applied for my H-1B visa (April 2014). I wish to make a switch as soon as I get one. Lets say I get an offer from company B - a couple cases 1) May 2014 2) July 2014

If I get in May, and my new employer is filing the visa if the quota is there, can the visa with company A be cancelled? Will they charge me according to you?

If I get the new offer in July 2014, and I have my H1B approval notice, can I transfer immediately to the Company B (who is ready to transfer/sponsor the visa) or would I have to wait until Oct 1st to get it transferred. In these posts I am hearing a lot about pay-stubs, would I need to wait for some time with Comp A to get these pay-stubs after H1B approval?
Once you’re H-1B is approved, another company can file a transfer application on your behalf, even before October 1. However, you should speak with an immigration attorney to get details and any risks of doing so.please go here: http://www.visaprolaw.com/immigration-attorneys

Last edited:

t74

An attorney would have to review your employment documents to determine if you have an enforceable clause for damages and their amount if it does exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">