• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traveling with dual nationality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monchoixamoi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
i live in the us and have dual citizenship swiss and american, can i travel from the usa to switzerland and back only with my swiss passport; my us passport expired this year and i leave tomorrow for switzerland and wondered if i could only travel with one passport

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
i live in the us and have dual citizenship swiss and american, can i travel from the usa to switzerland and back only with my swiss passport; my us passport expired this year and i leave tomorrow for switzerland and wondered if i could only travel with one passport
US citizens are required by law to exit and enter the US with their US passport.
The US government only recognizes your US citizenship.

PARIS2000

As a practical matter, who would check if you have a non-expired US passport when you leave the US? Wouldn't it be possible to leave the US on the Swiss passport and return with a valid US Passport? (This assumes that one would be able to renew an expired passport overseas)...

I_Got_Banned

I highly doubt that the airline would allow you to board the return flight from switzerland with an expired U.S. passport.

Also keep in mind that renewing a passport (via the U.S. embassy in Switzerland) will take much longer than the 2 week expedited period it would take to get it renewed from the U.S.... So you might want to look into the possibility of getting it renewed in the U.S. before you leave.

Call the airline. They will either give you the correct answer or direct you to a source where you can find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">