• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travelling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcsocal

What is the name of your state? California

I was wondering about travelling back to Canada to my sister's wedding, which is this Sept.
I am a current resident of the US with green card. But my Canadian passport had expired, working on getting a new one and probably not in time for the wedding. Would I have problems driving through the border crossing, to and from Canada and if I carry my expire passport just in case?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? California

I was wondering about travelling back to Canada to my sister's wedding, which is this Sept.
I am a current resident of the US with green card. But my Canadian passport had expired, working on getting a new one and probably not in time for the wedding. Would I have problems driving through the border crossing, to and from Canada and if I carry my expire passport just in case?
http://tinyurl.com/2fbquk
Foreign nationals that are lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more), and their passport to reenter the United States if traveling from outside the Western Hemisphere. If traveling to Canada or Mexico, the Permanent Resident Card is sufficient, although, carrying a passport as well could help facilitate your reentry. (LPRs that are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101.)

Suggest you read the entire page carefully to understand the whole thing.

This ONLY applies to land crossings. Get your pp renewed ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">