• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S citizen married an illegal alien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atlantico

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am a U.S. citizen and I married an illegal alien who entered the U.S. legally. His Visa expired 3 years ago. What forms do we need to start the process for legalization?
My wife is a US citizen I'm illegal we... both write it together....

Thank you very much we appreciate any help you can offer.:)

Do we need to fill out all of the following forms:
I-130
I-485
G-325A
I-864
I-765
I-693

I came to this country legally and have held a job and also paid all federal and state taxes. Will my employer know that my status has expired or will there be any penalties against my employer? Will I have to quit my job to file for my green card?

thank you

Last edited:

FLMommy

go to http://www.uscis.gov

Look for the section on GreenCards/Permanent Residency. His/Yours application will be a family based one, look for the info on marriage to a US citizen, it should list all the forms you need right there. Let me know if you can't find it.

Because he is in the US illegally and has obviously overstayed, he should under no circumstances leave the country until his application for permanent residency has been approved.

ImmigAttyLana

The process will be fairly straightforward as long as you are lawfully married, the marriage is bona fide and he entered the US lawfully even if he has since overstayed. Depending on where in the US you reside, the process may take anywhere from 4-18 months and he should NOT travel outside the US until the process is complete and he is granted permanent resident status.

atlantico

go to http://www.uscis.gov

Look for the section on GreenCards/Permanent Residency. His/Yours application will be a family based one, look for the info on marriage to a US citizen, it should list all the forms you need right there. Let me know if you can't find it.

Because he is in the US illegally and has obviously overstayed, he should under no circumstances leave the country until his application for permanent residency has been approved.

Thank you :))))

atlantico

The process will be fairly straightforward as long as you are lawfully married, the marriage is bona fide and he entered the US lawfully even if he has since overstayed. Depending on where in the US you reside, the process may take anywhere from 4-18 months and he should NOT travel outside the US until the process is complete and he is granted permanent resident status.
\

thank you Lana

FLMommy

Ok, you edited your original post and it makes NO SENSE anymore whatsoever.

In your first line you state you're a US citizen. After listing the forms, you say "I came to this country legally" - so which one is it??? Or did you write the first part, and your non citizen partner the second part?

Either way, if you are out of status (illegal) and still working, you are working illegally and you should stop immediately, especially if you are applying for Permanent Residency.

atlantico

Ok, you edited your original post and it makes NO SENSE anymore whatsoever.

In your first line you state you're a US citizen. After listing the forms, you say "I came to this country legally" - so which one is it??? Or did you write the first part, and your non citizen partner the second part?

Either way, if you are out of status (illegal) and still working, you are working illegally and you should stop immediately, especially if you are applying for Permanent Residency.
Lana,
yes because me and my wife wrote sorry for misunderstanding

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">