• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

urgent asylum interview question -- Can I be the interpreter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

righteousness

My mother will be interviewed in Chicago, IL for her asylum application. I assisted in filing her application (I-589) form.

Can I still be the interpreter?

1. Am I the attorney or representative of her just because I assisted in her I-589?
On her I-589 form, I signed in Part D(Did your spouse, parent, or child(ren) assist you in completing this application?) ,

but nobody signed in Part E (DECLARATION OF PERSON PREPARING FORM IF OTHER THAN APPLICANT, SPOUSE, PARENT OR CHILD) .

2. She does not need a witness.

3. I am not an employee of the country she fears.

So am I eligible as an interpreter?

Many many thanks!!!

ImmigAttyLana

No, you may not act as an interpreter/translator for your mother, as you are not a neutral/disinterested party. You need to find someone else who is not related to your mother or to you and who is a neutral person who speaks both English and your mother's native language.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">