• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US citizen get married to French citizen with J1 student visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargers2156

Hi everyone!!!

I am 20 years old and I have dual citizenship ( US and French), I have lived most of my life in France. My girlfriend is French and we go to the same college in France. Next year, we will both be living in California as international exchange students. She has a J1 student visa that will end in April 2010, since I have a US passport, I don't need any visa. Our college in France requires us to do a 3 month internship at the end of our exchange program. We are both thinking about starting our internship in April and doing it in the United States ( most likely in California ).
What kind of applications will she have to fill out in order to change her immigration status, since her student visa will end in April 2010? Will she have to go back to her home country?

Also, if we ever consider getting married in the United States, what will the requirements be? Can we get married while she has a J1 or a work visa?Will she be able to get a green card? What are our options and the best way to do that? When she applied for the student visa, her intentions were to study in the United States not get married, but what are our options if we decide to get married next year in the US? We have been together for one year and a half and do not intend to get married in the US for convenience purposes.

Thanks a lot

evcalyptos

Hi everyone!!!

I am 20 years old and I have dual citizenship ( US and French), I have lived most of my life in France. My girlfriend is French and we go to the same college in France. Next year, we will both be living in California as international exchange students. She has a J1 student visa that will end in April 2010, since I have a US passport, I don't need any visa. Our college in France requires us to do a 3 month internship at the end of our exchange program. We are both thinking about starting our internship in April and doing it in the United States ( most likely in California ).
What kind of applications will she have to fill out in order to change her immigration status, since her student visa will end in April 2010? Will she have to go back to her home country?

Also, if we ever consider getting married in the United States, what will the requirements be? Can we get married while she has a J1 or a work visa?Will she be able to get a green card? What are our options and the best way to do that? When she applied for the student visa, her intentions were to study in the United States not get married, but what are our options if we decide to get married next year in the US? We have been together for one year and a half and do not intend to get married in the US for convenience purposes.

Thanks a lot
In answer to your 2nd question: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A1eng.pdf

If your relatives are already in the United States and
entered legally, then they may be able to file an I-485
application to adjust their status to lawful permanent resident
at the same time as you file the I-130 relative petition.
Petitions filed at the same time with permanent residence
applications (I-485) must be filed at a location that is different
from where you would file an I-130 petition by itself. Please
read the instructions for the two addresses where concurrent
filings can be mailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">