• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Citizen to marry a South African

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmhd08

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My question is this: I met a wonderful guy from S. Africa. He is here working (ski resorts/construction) and I assume he is on a H 2B Visa. It expires October 2008. He will be in the USA for almost 2 years.

Is there a waiting period if we decide we want to marry? If we were to get married before he leaves to go back to S Africa, will he still have to go, then wait to get re-entry to the US?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My question is this: I met a wonderful guy from S. Africa. He is here working (ski resorts/construction) and I assume he is on a H 2B Visa. It expires October 2008. He will be in the USA for almost 2 years.

Is there a waiting period if we decide we want to marry? If we were to get married before he leaves to go back to S Africa, will he still have to go, then wait to get re-entry to the US?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
If you marry while he is in the US, and apply for his Adjustment of Status (with concurrent I-130), he can remain in the US while waiting for his Permanent Resident status (green card).

If you marry and he leaves the US, he will need to apply for a visa from outside the US and may not live in the US while waiting. Immigrant Visas for spouses of US citizens take about 8-10 months to get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">