• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US citizen to Marry UK Citizen- easiest way to do this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sohoUS5

I am a US citizen in the UK on a student visa. My boyfriend is a UK citizen and we have just gotten engaged. My visa is valid for another 3 months. What is the best/easiest way for us to get married? should we get married here in the UK? should we get married in the US? what kind of licences or visa apps to we have to do in either case?

evcalyptos

I am a US citizen in the UK on a student visa. My boyfriend is a UK citizen and we have just gotten engaged. My visa is valid for another 3 months. What is the best/easiest way for us to get married? should we get married here in the UK? should we get married in the US? what kind of licences or visa apps to we have to do in either case?
hi,
You can't marry in the UK; non-EU citizens now need a special visa in advance of getting married in the UK, even if they won't be staying there. Real hassle for a lot of us! This visa doesn't take long to get.

You haven't said where you want to live, but you're posting in the Immigration section. If you plan to live in the US, your BF will need a visa in advance of arriving.
The 'fastest' visa is a K-1 Fiance visa which will allow him to come to the US to marry you and then apply to stay. That visa takes about 6-9 months to get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">