• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

us citizen marrying a mexican immigrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jangel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in CA and I am a US citized and married my long time boyfriend a year and 6 months ago. I want to know what the process is to apply for residency. I have no idea where to start and I keep hearing "the laws are changing" are they changing for the best or the worst? I want to know the process and where to start.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in CA and I am a US citized and married my long time boyfriend a year and 6 months ago. I want to know what the process is to apply for residency. I have no idea where to start and I keep hearing "the laws are changing" are they changing for the best or the worst? I want to know the process and where to start.
Provided your boyfriend entered the country legally the process is fairly straightforward.

http://tinyurl.com/ygkrv9s

Start there.

File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, at the same time. See required documentation below.

To complete the process, the petitioner must submit:

* Form I-130 (signed with proper fee), with all required documentation, including:

o Two completed and signed G-325A forms (one for you and one for your spouse)
o A copy of your civil marriage certificate
o A copy of all divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that demonstrate that all previous marriages entered into by you and/or your spouse were terminated
o Passport style photos of you and your spouse (see Form I-130 instructions for photo requirements)
o Evidence of all legal name changes for you and/or your spouse (may include marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court judgment of name change, adoption decrees, etc.)

* If you are a U.S. citizen, you must demonstrate your status with:
o A copy of your valid U.S. passport OR
o A copy of your U.S. birth certificate OR
o A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR
o A copy of your naturalization certificate OR
o A copy of your certificate of citizenship

* If you are a permanent resident, you must demonstrate your status with:
o A copy (front and back) of Form I-551 (green card) OR
o A copy of your foreign passport bearing a stamp showing temporary evidence of permanent residence

Last edited:

Proserpina

He did enter the US illegally, as a child over 20 years ago.:(
Oh. Then you NEED to speak with an immigration attorney, I'm sorry - this complicates things to a HUGE extent. By all means post on the expat boards though as there are many others there who are going through or have gone through a similar situation.

evcalyptos

Thank you!!!!
I recommend you go to a different board than at britishexpats.
Because he entered illegally, your husband will have to leave the US for a visa, have the visa denied, and apply for a waiver.
You can find detailed information about that process in the I-601 forums at immigrate2us.net

It's highly recommended that you use a lawyer, and there are a couple of very experienced ones posting there.. you need one with direct experience. There are a lot of resources posted for free though. Do some studying before filing or hiring. Timing will be everything.

I would not count on waiting for the laws to change, as anything can happen and not necessarily in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">