• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Citizen wanting to marry a H-1 visa holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelaowens

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am a us citizen, the person I want to marry is here on a H-1 visa. will there be any reason we could not marry? and if not, what steps do we need to take? Would like to marry in Vegas. Thanks for any and all help you can give.

zxed

if he is in legal status then it should be no problem. get married in vegas, then file for the I-130, I-485, and so on.. lots of forms, i would use a paralegal or one of those little immigration companys that fill up your paperwork.

evcalyptos

angelaowens said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am a us citizen, the person I want to marry is here on a H-1 visa. will there be any reason we could not marry? and if not, what steps do we need to take? Would like to marry in Vegas. Thanks for any and all help you can give.
The technical term for what he wants to do (after marriage to you) is called Adjustment of Status, also known as Gaining Permenent Residency. You can find the instructions at uscis.gov

It is a lot of paperwork, but not complex. Pay close attention to the details, like costs (the instructions on the forms are wrong---always check the uscis.gov page for current filing info) and where to mail to (Chicago 'lockbox for everyone now) before you leap.

He should do everything to maintain his H-1B status if he wants to rely on its benefits. Otherwise, he will require work and travel authorization while he is waiting for his AOS to complete. Once he has his Green Card, he may work for any company that will have him, and travel outside of the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">