• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US citizen wants to marry someone from UK (Scotland)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi - and thank you in advance for all advice!!

My daughter (19) met a young man (21) on the XBox 360 almost 2 years ago (technology!!!). They have been exclusive this whole time - and want to marry. He has sent her an engagement ring and has recently come to see her and stayed with our family for 3 weeks in July. He is a great guy - we have seen him everyday as if he were actually in our home (just on a monitor - might be the perfect marriage - haha).

How can they go about getting married - - I know from the INS site that there are different forms. They don't want to wait - can he come visit and they marry and then he goes back to Scotland and they file paperwork as her bringing her spouse over?

They will be living with my husband and myself (not sure if anyone needs that info - but just in case).

Thank You

LisaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi - and thank you in advance for all advice!!

My daughter (19) met a young man (21) on the XBox 360 almost 2 years ago (technology!!!). They have been exclusive this whole time - and want to marry. He has sent her an engagement ring and has recently come to see her and stayed with our family for 3 weeks in July. He is a great guy - we have seen him everyday as if he were actually in our home (just on a monitor - might be the perfect marriage - haha).

How can they go about getting married - - I know from the INS site that there are different forms. They don't want to wait - can he come visit and they marry and then he goes back to Scotland and they file paperwork as her bringing her spouse over?

They will be living with my husband and myself (not sure if anyone needs that info - but just in case).

Thank You

LisaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Lisa,
How can they go about getting married?

Since the Scotsman wants to move to the US based on this relationship, they have basically 2 choices:

The K-1 fiance visa is for getting married in the US and remaining while applying for Adjustment of Status (result: green card). These visas take 6-10 months depending.

If they are gagging to get married, they need to organize a wedding and then file the paperwork. The foreign spouse must remain OUTside the US while applying for a visa on that relationship. This visa is called an Immigrant Visa, and they take about 6-10 months start to finish, but the couple must be married before they can start applying.

Clearly marriage adds a wait to start the immigration, an extra trip to the US (or the UK.. if they marry over there your daughter will need a visa beforehand even if she is not immigrating), the risk of marrying as a visitor (complications at entry) and most discouraging for most young couples: their first year of marriage living on different continents.

Most UK/US couples find that the K-1 visa is 'better' but it does have its own drawbacks (older couples may find the immigrant visa the better choice).

Do NOT let him plan to come over as a tourist, get married and plan on staying; it is illegal.

Tink11464

Hi - Thank you - - No they weren't planning on him staying after marrying - - they were thinking they would marry and he would go back - and during that time they would be filing for him to come as her spouse (honestly - I don't know what the rush is at 19 - ;)

But they are in love... Any way they do it - there would be a 6-10 month wait for him to come live here??

I think what I am trying to figure out - and I find it hard myself on the INS site - is the easiest way. That's why I was thinking they would marry here, he would go back home to Scotland and then file as a spouse for him to come to the US.

Does that make sense - I'm not sure....

Or the best way is to wait - file the fiance' form and do it that way??

Thanks again for all advice!!!!

evcalyptos

Hi - Thank you - - No they weren't planning on him staying after marrying - - they were thinking they would marry and he would go back - and during that time they would be filing for him to come as her spouse (honestly - I don't know what the rush is at 19 - ;)

But they are in love... Any way they do it - there would be a 6-10 month wait for him to come live here??

I think what I am trying to figure out - and I find it hard myself on the INS site - is the easiest way. That's why I was thinking they would marry here, he would go back home to Scotland and then file as a spouse for him to come to the US.

Does that make sense - I'm not sure....

Or the best way is to wait - file the fiance' form and do it that way??

Thanks again for all advice!!!!
lol, none of it is 'easy' when you are starting from scratch. I taught myself what to do oh, about 7 years ago when I first met my now spouse. I'm amazed at how much changes every year.

'Best' is relative to each person/family. Without knowing why they've made that choice, it's impossible to comment on it.

I'd suggest a lot of reading before doing anything (tell your daughter this is filed under 'emotional maturity' :) ). The consequences of immigration choices are far reaching, so it's important to understand the restrictions of each visa type before filing anything.
Here is a link to an excellent group for researching your marriage based options: http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">