• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Citizenship, dual nationality and ITAR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ugarit

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? DC

I'm a US Citizen and work with civilian scientific satellites. The US has deemed satellites as "arms" and therefore only US persons are elligible to view data about US satellites in general. Some foreign nationals can get a license to have that information exported to them.

Satellites fall under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). (http://www.ailf.org/lac/lac_pa_071703.asp)

I'm contemplating acquiring my mothers nationality (European) and hence becoming a dual national (dual-national).

Will I still be considered a US person when it comes to ITAR regulations or will the second nationality after my US one deem my status as a foreign national?

Indiana Filer

ugarit said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? DC

I'm contemplating acquiring my mothers nationality (European) and hence becoming a dual national (dual-national).
I don't believe that the US allows you to pick up another country's citizenship and keep your US citizenship, except under very limited circumstances. If you want to become a citizen of your mother's country, be prepared to no longer be a US citizen.

ugarit

US allows US citizens to have more than one

"A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">