• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Citizenship - Immigration Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikhilpatel05

What is the name of your state? Texas

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated

Background:
*Class B misdemeanor (theft in grocery store)
*(>$20 less than $500)
*12 years ago when I was 17 years of age.
*Received sentence of deferred adjudication.
*40 hours community service
*6months probation
*Complied with all fines, community service, etc.
*No further encounters with law enforcment

This was a mistake i made as a teenager. Now my job requires me to travel. My lawyer has charger 2000.00 initially to research whether it would be safe to travel and apply for US Citizenship. My primary concern currently is that he mentioned there have been cases (enclusions?) that would not allow the US to let me back in the country even though i have been a permenant resident for the past 27+ years.

Is this something i should be concerned about. The county clerk said US officials are typically not concerned with this type of infraction. A second lawyer said i should be fine filing for citizenship. I just wanted to get an unbiased opionion that returning from an international trip on whether this would of concern, or on their watch list of items.

SHORTY LONG

Do you have a bona fide Green Card? If so, why have you waited all these
years to apply for United States Citizenship? And you are planning to travel
outside the United States because of work?

Spend somemore time in further researching:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

nikhilpatel05

Yes i have a bonafide green card. I actually renewed in 2 years go, so i have the new biometric looking one. As far as why have not applied for Citizenship..truth be told is that i was lazy for all the wrong reasons, and never really pushed it as a priority.

Traveling will be for work.

ImmigAttyLana

It's not going to be an issue for your N-400 application and your attorney could have told you that without spending $2000 of your money for research.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

kiwi_sweetie

Reply to Shorty

Shorty,

I beleive you were applying to my request for Attorney's advise?

I am a US Citizen and I filed a petition I-130 for Immigrant Visa for my husband
who is from Pakistan.

He does not have a green card. He is not here in the US with me because
the Consulate in Islamabad did not do their job properly.

This Christmas Day we will be separated for (3) years and all I have read on these petitions is that it should only take 3 months to 1 year to get his petition approved.

I would really appreciate a attorney's advise on this matter.

Thanks for your reply shorty.

Kiwi_sweetie

Do you have a bona fide Green Card? If so, why have you waited all these
years to apply for United States Citizenship? And you are planning to travel
outside the United States because of work?

Spend somemore time in further researching:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">