• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visa Dilemma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monkeyboy2

NY

If I am a US citizen and my fiancee who is a Singapore Citizen comes to the US in December 2013 on a Visa Waiver and upon meeting her immediately file for a fiancee Visa. She goes back to Singapore legally on the terms of the waiver and I go to Singapore the following April 2014 and we get married in Singapore BEFORE the fiancee Visa is approved. Singapore ROM is recognized in the US. Do I have to file a Spousal Visa? I ask because fiancee Visas dont take as much time as spousal Visas to be processed and I don't want to have to wait a year or more for my then wife to come over.

OHRoadwarrior

Yes you must apply for a spousal visa. Expect the entire process of obtaining citizenship to be a nightmare as you do not really know the woman you married.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=10093e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=10093e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Last edited:

lisaanderson05

NY

If I am a US citizen and my fiancee who is a Singapore Citizen comes to the US in December 2013 on a Visa Waiver and upon meeting her immediately file for a fiancee Visa. She goes back to Singapore legally on the terms of the waiver and I go to Singapore the following April 2014 and we get married in Singapore BEFORE the fiancee Visa is approved. Singapore ROM is recognized in the US. Do I have to file a Spousal Visa? I ask because fiancee Visas dont take as much time as spousal Visas to be processed and I don't want to have to wait a year or more for my then wife to come over.
Yes. If you get married in Singapore, the fiancé visa will be cancelled and you will have to file for a spouse visa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">