• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visa expire soon for au pair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aurore

What is the name of your state?ct

Hi

I am an au pair in connecticut until end of october, i would like to stay in new york because i have a boyfriend (he is not american), i d like to stay with him and do like nanny or babysitter in live out.
Is it better i go back to france after my year and 2 weeks later i come back like a tourist, i can come like for 90days without any visa, right? after that can i apply for the visa b2?

Thanks for your help

aurore

ImmigAttyLana

You cannot just stay past your visa expiration date. You either need t o extend your status or change your status. Failing to do either places you in unlawful status in the US and this can have implications for your future ability to travel to the US or to immigrate to the US, if you so choose.

You can depart and enter on the visa waiver, but you will not be able to extend your stay on the visa waiver as it does not allow for extensions. You can depart and apply for the B-2 visa and if you are granted the visa and allowed to enter, once you are here you can then apply for extensions of stay or changes of status, as may be appropriate.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

A

aurore

thanks

Thank you for your fast answer.
One thing i dont understand, what is the visa waiver?

HOw can i change of status?
I was already au pair for one year, do you know if i can apply one more year with one other au pair agency? Am i allowed to have an other au pair visa?

Thank you so much for your answer

Aurore

ImmigAttyLana

Visa waiver is available to citizens of certain countries, whereby they do not need a visa to enter the US for tourism purposes for periods of up to 90 days. However, this type of entry is not subject to extensions of stay or changes of status. Since you had mentioned France in your original post, I am assuming you are a French citizen. If so, France is one of the countries whose citizens are eligible for the visa waiver.

As for the extensions of stay in J-1, you would need to contact your organization that sponsored that program to find out the additional details on this.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

A

aurore

after my au pair visa

Hello

After my au pair visa if i come back to France and apply for a b2 tourist visa, how long time i need to wait to go back to USA?
Can i apply as soon as i arrive in France?
Or i need to wait 1 month or more or there is no law about that?

Thanks very much

Aurore

ImmigAttyLana

You can apply at any time but remember you will have to establish why you want to go to the US and that you do not intend to remain there in order to qualify for the B-2 and if you reapply as soon as you return, there may be a question as to why you need to return to the US so soon after leaving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">