• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visa for father not listed on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostson

CA

I was born in Nicaragua in the 80s, a time of turmoil.

My mother had an affair when she got pregnant with me, left the small town where I was born to Managua, and put another man's name on my birth certificate when I was born.

I did not find out until I came to the U.S., was reunited with my mom after 10 years, and she dumped that news on me at the age of 15.

My father had been looking for me the whole time, and not until my brother went back to the small town, were we able to speak via phone for the first time.

I'm now a U.S. citizen and traveling to Nicaragua for the first time in almost 15 years to meet my father. Now, being a father myself, I would like for him to be able to visit my family in the U.S. in the future, as well as some of my brothers and sisters.

What are the steps to get him a Visa when he's not even listed on the birth certificate? i.e, which embassies/consulates need to be involved, do I need DNA testing, how do I get that done, can I get the birth certificate amended?

Thanks for the help!

Mass_Shyster

CA

I was born in Nicaragua in the 80s, a time of turmoil.

My mother had an affair when she got pregnant with me, left the small town where I was born to Managua, and put another man's name on my birth certificate when I was born.

I did not find out until I came to the U.S., was reunited with my mom after 10 years, and she dumped that news on me at the age of 15.

My father had been looking for me the whole time, and not until my brother went back to the small town, were we able to speak via phone for the first time.

I'm now a U.S. citizen and traveling to Nicaragua for the first time in almost 15 years to meet my father. Now, being a father myself, I would like for him to be able to visit my family in the U.S. in the future, as well as some of my brothers and sisters.

What are the steps to get him a Visa when he's not even listed on the birth certificate? i.e, which embassies/consulates need to be involved, do I need DNA testing, how do I get that done, can I get the birth certificate amended?

Thanks for the help!
Check this page:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5d893e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=5d893e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

The bad part is that you don't seem to be able to file for your father to come here.

If you are a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old, and your…Father lives outside the United States and you were born out of wedlock and were not legitimated by your father before your 18th birthday Then you must submit… A Form I-130, A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your father's name, A copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or U.S. passport if you were not born in the United States, Evidence that an emotional or financial bond existed between you and your father before you were married or reached the age of 21, whichever came first

If you are under 21 and single, you may be able to establish the required relationship NOW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">