• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visit US with Tourist Visa from Philippines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca. A friend of mine, in the Philippines, is in the process of trying to get a tourist visa to visit the US. She is going through a travel agency that helps you do this. The agency has a list of "needs" from a sponsor (which would be me) and from her. The list includes, copy of my passport, deeds to my homes, tax statement, bank statements, employment (which I'm currently unemployed and doing home business), letter of invitation, etc... From her, they want property deeds, banks statements (that shows I send her money), passport, etc... This seems more like a fiance visa than a tourist. Couldn't she get this on her own? She has property (more than one), extensive travel with about 6 to 8 old passports showing stamps from Hong Kong, Thailand, Brazil, Malaysia (multiple times in each country). Also, has money in the bank. The travel agency charges about $150 for the service. Is that legit? Thanks for any advice...

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca. A friend of mine, in the Philippines, is in the process of trying to get a tourist visa to visit the US. She is going through a travel agency that helps you do this. The agency has a list of "needs" from a sponsor (which would be me) and from her. The list includes, copy of my passport, deeds to my homes, tax statement, bank statements, employment (which I'm currently unemployed and doing home business), letter of invitation, etc... From her, they want property deeds, banks statements (that shows I send her money), passport, etc... This seems more like a fiance visa than a tourist. Couldn't she get this on her own? She has property (more than one), extensive travel with about 6 to 8 old passports showing stamps from Hong Kong, Thailand, Brazil, Malaysia (multiple times in each country). Also, has money in the bank. The travel agency charges about $150 for the service. Is that legit? Thanks for any advice...
The US doesn't require any of that to get a tourist visa. That does sound a whole lot like the info needed for a fiancée visa.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is there something that would lead the agency to believe that this might, in fact, be a trip for the purposes of marriage?

OHRoadwarrior

What it sounds like is they want proof to present with the application the friend will return to the Philippines. It does not appear they will meet the "need to return" requirements to get the visa.

LdiJ

What it sounds like is they want proof to present with the application the friend will return to the Philippines. It does not appear they will meet the "need to return" requirements to get the visa.
Huh? The person has money and property there. Nevertheless, she still doesn't need any documentation for a sponsor for a tourist visa,

Torakki

It was confusing to me because, everything they are asking for seems to indicate that she will stay in the US (IE: a sponsor to support her with proof of property, bank account and a job). The only thing that supported a tourist visa (in my mind) was a round trip itinerary. So, for a tourist visa, what is needed to meet the "need to return" requirement? With her travel history and property make getting the visa a "slam dunk"? Thanks for the responses....

LdiJ

It was confusing to me because, everything they are asking for seems to indicate that she will stay in the US (IE: a sponsor to support her with proof of property, bank account and a job). The only thing that supported a tourist visa (in my mind) was a round trip itinerary. So, for a tourist visa, what is needed to meet the "need to return" requirement? With her travel history and property make getting the visa a "slam dunk"? Thanks for the responses....
Tell her to go to the nearest US embassy or consulate to apply in person for a tourist visa. I think that she is going to find that she doesn't need someone to facilitate it for her.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How long does she plan on visiting the United States?

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwhniv7.html

Is this the travel agency asking for this or the embassy? Because I do not see how any of the information you're describing would be necessary from you for a visit to the US. All the embassy really wants to know is if she has more reasons to go back to the Phillipines than to stay in the US.

How good a friend is this? And why does she need a sponsor if she's not going to work in the US or marry you?

Torakki

The travel agency is asking for this documentation. Then, they said that they would arrange for an appointment with the embassy in Manila. Length of visit has not really been planned out yet. Her friend told her that you ask for any amount of time and they automatically give you a 6 month visa? Sound right? It's a close friend but not close enough to marry. I've been married before and don't want to loose another house, (just to show someone the Golden Gate Bridge). Thanks.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
LOL, you should go out for drinks with Bali Hai.

Yeah, I wouldn't "sponsor" her if I were you - tell her to take LdiJ's advice. She can fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, and schedule an interview.
It's very straightforward.

LdiJ

LOL, you should go out for drinks with Bali Hai.

Yeah, I wouldn't "sponsor" her if I were you - tell her to take LdiJ's advice. She can fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, and schedule an interview.
It's very straightforward.
Just to add...think about what kind of identity theft could be committed with the info this "agency" is asking you to provide?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">