• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visit Visa for Spouse to "change of status" permanent residency.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Khalifa

I have kind of a complicated case. I am a US Citizen and got married to foreign spouse through a double proxy(both of us were absent) in the US. We are currently living together in the Middle East. We moved to the Middle East just recently but we have a multi-year contract. I applied for a visit visa to the US which I think I will get. But I had started the K-3 visa process (I-130 and I-129f) in my spouse's home country. So theoretically I have economic ties in the Middle East but I am planning on staying once we get to the US if my spouse gets the visa and gets through Customs and Immigration at the US airport. The question is can I apply for a change of status, I-485 while we are in the US with the tourist visa? And when we go for the interview and process of permanent residency will they (INS) punish us for using a tourist visa to get my spouse quickly here than rather waiting for the K3 visa? Can and should, I do it if we get passed customs and immigration at the airport?

Thank you :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">