• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitor with dual (Mexican and British) nationality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maria1977

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? outside us

Hi, I was born in Mexico city and I hold dual nationality, Mexican and British.
I want to visit the US as a tourist, I currently have my permanent residence in Mexico. Can I use my UK passport to visit, and enter through the visa waiver programme, or do I need to apply for a visa as Mexican?

Thanks a lot for your help.

JETX

Can I use my UK passport to visit, and enter through the visa waiver programme, or do I need to apply for a visa as Mexican?
As long as your papers are legal (for either country), you shouldn't have a problem using either... but it would likely be best to use the Mexican since your residency there can (presumably) be easier to verify if needed.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

JETX is correct. The only US provision on entry of dual citizens is that if one of your Citizenships is the US, that's the one you have to enter under.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? outside us

Hi, I was born in Mexico city and I hold dual nationality, Mexican and British.
I want to visit the US as a tourist, I currently have my permanent residence in Mexico. Can I use my UK passport to visit, and enter through the visa waiver programme, or do I need to apply for a visa as Mexican?

Thanks a lot for your help.
I don't understand the legal rationale behind the other two replies.

If you are a British citizen with a valid UK passport, it is much easier to enter the US for a visit on the VWP (don't forget the ESTA electronic preclearance).

Getting a visa as a Mexican citizen is a PITA and there is no reason for you to visit the US as a Mexican just because that is where you live now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">