• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiting for Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scottievi

undefinedCalifornia
I am presently vissiting my fiancee in california whilst i await my divorce in canada being final. we plan to marry as soon as it is legal for me to do so.
My question is I have been offered a position here and it is a good job how can I get permission to work in the US temporarlily until I get Maried then can apply to change my status.

NickGreen

No

No you can't. If you are applying for a green card based on a family relationship you have to get married and file for Employment Authorization. You'll receive this withing 3 months of filing. You cannot legally work sooner, unless you want to get some kind of work visa like an H1-B, but that takes months and will cost you or your employer couple thousand dollars. I don't think that's the avenue you want to take.

Nick

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">