• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which way do I go, and what do I need?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopefullyhome

What is the name of your state? Texas/Mexico border.
Ok I am a natural born citizen. MY fiance is a mexican citizen and we have a 2 yr old child together who is also a citizen. We currently live in Juarez Mexico because he does not have permission to enter the United States. We want to apply for a work visa or permanent residence but are unsure if this can be done from the mexican side of the border and if so what we would need to apply. We have been together for 3 yrs and plan to marry soon but are waiting to see if we should marry in the U.S. or in Mexico. Can you help us to go in the right direction? thanksWhat is the name of your state?

ImmigAttyLana

It would probably be slightly faster if you could return to the US and petition for him as your fiance. That way, he would get a fiance visa to enter the US and get married and then file for his permanent residence on the basis of marriage.

However, given your situation in that you have a little child, you might not want to go back to the US and be separated, so you can probably get married in Mexico and then petition for him as your spouse. That process is likely to take about 9-12 months, whereas the fiance visa petition process takes on average about 6-9 months. These are approximations only so don't rely on these as absolute timeframes.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

hopefullyhome

which way do I go, and what do I need?

I think our best option is to petition from here as his wife but where would I go to apply and what are the requirements as far as fees and forms. Also is there a site where I could find a list of requirements for applying....also what would I be applying for a permanent residence or a work permit or what?

ImmigAttyLana

You can go to the USCIS website to look at the requirements for filing and to download the necessary forms, if you are going to do it on your own. If you are going to do it through an attorney, the attorney will handle the forms and the filing for you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">