• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We moved, so did not get notice from NVC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,
Quick question.
Our i130 was approved in 2005 under 4th category. After waiting 7 years, National Visa Center (NVC) allegedly mailed us a i797 in 2012. However, We moved, so did not get notice nor i797 from NVC last year. We inquired NVC regarding next steps. National Visa Center (NVC) replied with this:
respond to us in writing and provide a description of the "circumstances beyond your control" that prevented you from contacting the NVC by phone, email or letter in over a year.

That's a trick question <grin>
If we reply saying that we moved, they will say it is our responsibility to give our new address to them. What excuse can we give that they will accept as "circumstances beyond your control" ?
Can we blame the mail man?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this question and considering a response. You guys / gals are the greatest!
Kindest regards.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi,
Quick question.
Our i130 was approved in 2005 under 4th category. After waiting 7 years, National Visa Center (NVC) allegedly mailed us a i797 in 2012. However, We moved, so did not get notice nor i797 from NVC last year. We inquired NVC regarding next steps. National Visa Center (NVC) replied with this:
respond to us in writing and provide a description of the "circumstances beyond your control" that prevented you from contacting the NVC by phone, email or letter in over a year.

If we reply saying that we moved, they will say it is our responsibility to give our new address to them. What excuse can we give that they will accept as "circumstances beyond your control" ?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this question and considering a response. You guys / gals are the greatest!
Kindest regards.
So you want to lie and blame the mail man when it was your responsibility to inform NVC of your address? There is no circumstance beyond your control nor excuse you can give to make everything all right. Sucks to be you.

Just Blue

Hi,
Quick question.

Kindest regards.
Here is what you should say;

"The pitbull puppy ate my forwarding address papterwork". :rolleyes:

Good Grief Charlie Brown!!:p

Proserpina

Hi,
Quick question.

Kindest regards.

I take it you didn't bother to inform USCIS of your new address as is your LEGAL OBLIGATION?

Oh dear.

Oh - and they hear that excuse every day. They generally roll their eyes, laugh at it, and file it in the circular file.

t74

Your failure to follow the law is not a problem for anyone but you.

Now that you have been severely chastised, are we still "the greatest"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">