• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does "lawful admission" mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sss101

I have a question concerning the meaning of the term “lawful admission” (eg: “lawful admission to the U.S”) in immigration use.

Of the three following options, I’m not sure which case is called “admission”:
- When I’m issued a new visa
- After I got stamped “Admit” in my passport after Federation investigation at the airport.
(In case this is what called “admission” then the term “re-admission” is similar to “re-entry”, right?)
- Does this “admission” have anything related to the one in “schools’ (or companies) admission”?

FlyingRon

Lawful admission means you presented your self to an immigration officer and were approved to enter the United States. It's distinct from having the visa issued which is essentially is the permit that would allow you to be lawfully admitted.

No, it has nothing to do with being admitted at school (other than entering on one of the educational visas: J-1, F-1,.. is contingent on you being admitted to the corresponding educational program).

sss101

Lawful admission means you presented your self to an immigration officer and were approved to enter the United States. It's distinct from having the visa issued which is essentially is the permit that would allow you to be lawfully admitted.

No, it has nothing to do with being admitted at school (other than entering on one of the educational visas: J-1, F-1,.. is contingent on you being admitted to the corresponding educational program).
Thank you for your information!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">