• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happends during i130 un procesos?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rossy

I am currently on a J1 visa work and travel program This is my second time in the US as a J1. I would like to transfer to a college here. Also I do have a boyfriend here He is a permanent resident He says he can file the i130 form for me while I am still on a legal stay. But what will happen after my visa expires can I still stay here legally while the form is on process? And will I be able to study during the form un process? Or should I apply for a F1 visa now and wait for my boyfriend to apply for citizenship and file a petition for me while I am on the F1 visa status.

FlyingRon

If he was a citizen, he could get immediate consideration for his spouse. Spouses of LPRs have to get in line and it can be several years to get approved.
Further, J1 visas have certain special circumstances (Home Residence Requirement) and getting a non-immigrant visa with the specific intent to immigrate can get you deported and barred forever from entering the US. I suggest you get you and your boyfriend to a immigration attorney before you commit some illegal act.

Rossy

If he was a citizen, he could get immediate consideration for his spouse. Spouses of LPRs have to get in line and it can be several years to get approved.
Further, J1 visas have certain special circumstances (Home Residence Requirement) and getting a non-immigrant visa with the specific intent to immigrate can get you deported and barred forever from entering the US. I suggest you get you and your boyfriend to a immigration attorney before you commit some illegal act.
I am not subject to the 2 year rule. Still thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">