• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens to SSN after visa expires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

_CF_

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi, my wife and I are both on L1 visas and we are going to be leaving the US in a few months time. What will happen to our SSN numbers? We were planning on coming back sometime in the future (maybe five to ten years from now). Will the same numbers be available? Will they assign new ones? We don't want to lose our credit history.

Thanks

P

phwl

Social security numbers are issued to one person only and for life. The numbers are generally not used again. (not inluding identity theft...etc)

NickGreen

Yes, but you will lose some credit history!

You will always have the same numbers, but in terms of your credit history, speaking as a loan officer, I know that if you are not going to have any credit-related transactions for 5-10 years your credit score will be reduced substancially. It may be like having a new social security number when you come back! If possible, I would have someone trustworthy like a family member use your credit every now and then while you are gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">