• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when your spouse doesn't want to file for your papers? Can you do it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peque3

I have been married for 18 years to a naturalized US Citizen.
He still doesn't want to file for my green card. I entered the
country with a visitors visa. Our children are already 17, 16
and 12. I have a degree on accounting and want to start working.
The marriage is almost over, and our kids are not legal either.
What happens next? Can I apply for suspension of deportation?
What are the odds? He was a resident since he was three years old
and then became a citizen on 1994, are my kids entitled to his
citizenship? Please help, I am desperate.

S

SJLin

This is a strange situation and is something you need to consult with an immigration attorney. Depending on what the relationship you had with your spouse, it may be possible to self-petition. Also, why hasn't your spouse sought a green card for you and the children during the 18 years? What sort of relationship have you had with him? As to your children, where were they born? If not in the U.S., have they ever entered the U.S.? If they were born outside the U.S. and entered the U.S., didn't they receive an immigrant visa? These are some of the questions an immigration lawyer may ask you. You can find one at https://attorneypages.com

------------------
This transmission should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship between you and me. You are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon this transmission without consulting professional legal counsel.

[This message has been edited by SJLin (edited February 16, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">