• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the possible issues going for H1B interview with an unused F1 visa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fblaze88

Hello All,

One of my friend who is residing outside the U.S got his F1 stamped for doing Master's in the U.S. Of late, his H1B petition which was filed by his employer was picked up in the lottery and his employer is processing for his H1B visa now. He's planning to drop his Master's plan and go for H1B employment.

He would like to know:-
1. If there will be any issues while going for H1B stamping with an unused F1? Will he be tagged as a potential immigrant and banned for life time

2. If the Visa office asks why he didn't go for studies, should he say the real reason "I believe going and working in H1B will give me a real time experience and better exposure" or should he cook up something like "My edu. loan was denied... blah.. blah..."

3. Should he go and get his F-1 cancelled before going for H1B interview? Is there any provision for doing so?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">