• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WHAT'S ON A PASSPORT? Criminal Records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N/A New Zealand

Hey,
I'm planning on travelling to the USA in september. Last year i was convicted for drink driving in NZ and, driving with a disqualified license a few months later. i have both nz and british passports. ive read the online ESTA and it asks if you've ever commited a crime with moral turpitude. i looked this up and seems that moral turpitude covers murder, drug trafficking etc. so obviously no.
What i really would like to know is if any sort of criminal record is attached to a passport? what do the exactly see when they scan it? im also only planning to travel on the Visa Waiver Programme, so i wouldnt need to apply for a visa.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N/A New Zealand

Hey,
I'm planning on travelling to the USA in september. Last year i was convicted for drink driving in NZ and, driving with a disqualified license a few months later. i have both nz and british passports. ive read the online ESTA and it asks if you've ever commited a crime with moral turpitude. i looked this up and seems that moral turpitude covers murder, drug trafficking etc. so obviously no.
What i really would like to know is if any sort of criminal record is attached to a passport? what do the exactly see when they scan it? im also only planning to travel on the Visa Waiver Programme, so i wouldnt need to apply for a visa.
I take it that you missed the part that I bolded, so I did that again for you.

US Law only. Last time I checked, we had not acquired New Zealand as one of our newest states.

swalsh411

I wouldn't worry about a DWI conviction stopping you from entering the US. I have never heard of that happening.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an explanation - the reason we emphasize US law only is that US law and the laws of other countries are not the same. This sometimes surprises people, particularly people from other English speaking countries since presumably all the law for our various countries had its source in a common spot - English Common law. But over time there have been decisions that amend and modify existing law, and new laws put into place, and the laws of the various countries, despite our "sisterhood" of having a common mother, is no longer (if it ever really was) identical.

So even though the US and Canada and the various countries of the UK and Australia and New Zealand et. al. may have their roots in the same source, we really can't respond to questions about the law outside the US. Heck, because of a very early legal decision in the US regarding state's rights, we can't even assume that the law will be the same in Massachusetts as it is in Florida - and particularly not in California :D.

quincy

According to the US Department of State, a single drunk driving conviction is not enough on its own for entry into the US to be denied, however, if you have more than one misdemeanor offense, these together can be grounds for denial. You would require a waiver.

In New Zealand, as a note, a motorist can be pulled over for no reason at all at any time at all and made to take a Compulsory Breath Test. There is no requirement that law enforcement have a reasonable cause for a stop.

For more information on New Zealand, you can go to http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/niv_faq.html.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">