• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When did he become a citizen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? U.S. Federal - I'm in Washington State.

Recognizing that immigration law has changed over time I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight to this question.
My father-in-law (FIL) was born in Canada in 1923 to non-US citizens (I don't think their actual nationality makes a difference). When he was about 2 years old the family immigrated to the U.S. His father applied for and received U.S. citizenship. My FIL's older siblings all had to pass tests to be naturalized but the story passed down was that my FIL, due to his young age, was covered by his father's naturalization. My FIL used to carry a copy of his father's papers to be able to cross the US/Canadian border.
Now, I just read an item written by my FIL several years ago. He mentioned that he became a U.S. citizen when he enlisted in the Army Air Corps (WWII).

My FIL has dementia so it is a little late to ask him about this. Actually, before he had dementia I had trouble getting straight answers from him.

So my questions to this group are:
- Does the story about being naturalized by his father's papers have any historical accuracy?
- Did he become a citizen when he was naturalized with his father or did he not become naturalized until he enlisted? He has always contended he never sat for a citizenship test so I have trouble imagining the U.S. government granting citizenship just because you raised your right hand.
- Does any of this make sense to those of you conversant with the way things were?

Thank you.

Stephen1

The rules changed all the time, but yes it's quite possible he automatically was considered naturalized when his parents were.

Info on it here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=32dffe9dd4aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextoid=32dffe9dd4aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD
Thank you. Anyone know of an on-line site that might have the rules for that period? I once ran across a site that laid out the changes to the rules when one parent was a US citizen and the birth was foreign (nice listing of "born before XXX", "born xxx to yyy", etc) but I haven't been able to find that site again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">