• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my husband lose his green card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shorti1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? De
My husband and I have been married 13 years. Last year finally we finished his immigration paperwork and he got his green card. The interview was dec 5 and the green card arrived dec 20 I think. Little did I know last few months he had been cheating and I caught him jan 18th of this year. He wanted to separate. Since jan 19th he moved out to his mothers in another state. Dec 1 I got served div papers and he lied and put we separated jan 1. Now I know by law we must notify immigration. Will this hurt his status? His green card is a regular 10 year. I know with us staying married he will just wait 3 years to get his citizenship to US. Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My husband and I have been married 13 years. Last year finally we finished his immigration paperwork and he got his green card. The interview was dec 5 and the green card arrived dec 20 I think. Little did I know last few months he had been cheating and I caught him jan 18th of this year. He wanted to separate. Since jan 19th he moved out to his mothers in another state. Dec 1 I got served div papers and he lied and put we separated jan 1. Now I know by law we must notify immigration. Will this hurt his status? His green card is a regular 10 year. I know with us staying married he will just wait 3 years to get his citizenship to US. Thanks
He will not be deported. You however -- depending on financial situation -- may end up supporting him for the next several years.

FlyingRon

Was he issued a conditional green card? It is highly likely he was. If he divorces before converting it (two years after it is issued) then he will lose that status (unless he finds some other ways). As pointed out, this does not necessarily end your sponsorship obligation.

shorti1

I don't think anything was conditional. Just says it expires in 10 years or 5 years can't remember. There was no letter stating what kind of green card it was

Proserpina

He's also not going to be penalized for using a date which was a week or two later or earlier or later than the date you used.

Just to clarify something; even if this was a conditional card, divorce does not mean he'd be deported. Once the initial adjudication has taken place the immigrant can file himself to adjust his status based on the bona fide marriage.

Proserpina

"Sorry, Mr. Agent - I was so distraught with my failing marriage that I got the dates mixed up"

:cool:

This is a long term marriage; fraud doesn't enter the equation and a simple error is not likely to change things.

LdiJ

He could immediately have his green card yanked and be deported if he lied at the Dec 5th interview.
Dude...they have been married for 13 years...there is no way that is not going to be considered to be a bona fide marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">