• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2week notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Great Worker

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello,
Would an employer be wrong for giving a bad reference if you did not give a two week notice of leaving your job? I know it's only polite to give this type of notice but not required by law.I want to leave my present job to attain a different job. The new company would like for me to start asap,If I just up and quit the current job,is this something I should be concerned about in the future? Everyone is telling me I shouldn't "burn your bridges" with the old company b/c this could possibly come back and haunt me later,Is there any truth to this?
Please advise me on your thoughts.

Thank You,
Great Worker

enjay

There's no requirement that you give a two week's notice. It is common practice, though, in order to give the losing company time to reassign tasks and prepare to hire a replacement. The losing company could tell future prospective employers that you left them high and dry.

The receiving company knows that you need to put in a fair notice at your workplace and it is unfair of them to pressure you to do otherwise.

G

Great Worker

thanks for replying enjay, so the loosing company can make it known that I left without given the proper notice?and this would be bad for my reputation to future employment? My understanding was that a company cannot give a bad reference from a former employee,unless they placed themselves or there co-workers in a dangerous situation.
The new company wants me to start asap b/c of the skills that I have and they are "backed up"per say in trying to meet the customer demands.I'm sorry if I come across saying that they were pressuring me to leave old company to join them.

Thank You,
Great Worker

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your understanding is incorrect. An employer may give any information in a reference that is true or their honest opinion. If their honest opinion is that they were left in a bad situation because you left them without giving notice, nothing whatsoever in the law will prevent them from saying so. How bad this would be to future employment would depend entirely upon how the receiving company viewed the information.

This is not to say that your old employer WILL give you a bad reference if you leave without notice; only that it would not be illegal if they did. Have you considered telling them that your new company needs you to start as soon as possible, and asking them what they would consider appropriate notice? Trying to work it out with them? That often works better than you may think.

Beth3

Quitting without giving proper notice is not the "kiss of death" as it relates to the employer giving you a fair reference in the future. Most folks are fair-minded about that sort of thing. Although when asked if you are eligible for rehire, they may well reply "no, because he quit without notice." Again, not the end of the world but not the mark of a professional either.

No matter how jammed up your new employer is, it's a lousy deal for them to pressure you into giving less than reasonable notice to your current employer. When their employees resign for whatever reason, you can expect this company expects two weeks notice.

What you do is entirely up to you but I think the appropriate thing for you to do is to tell the new employer that you feel the need to give the customary two weeks notice to your current employer because as badly as the new place may need you, you don't want to leave your current company in the lurch.

G

Great Worker

CBG,
Thanks for taking the time and clarifying the situation for me.
I like the approach of asking the "old company" what they need. Fact is,if it werent for the experience I got from them the new would not be gaining such a valuable employee.
I took the advice from my very "first post"
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140814
and started searching for a new job, I reckon I just wanted to be vendictive, as I feel they have treated me,I did land the new perfect job for me at the time.The grass always looks greaner on the other side. Only time wil tell.

Thank You
Great Worker

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">