• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd Party Allegedly Harrassed My Supervisor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

telechica

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I work in a public place. I exchanged phone #s with a man I met, & one day several months ago I received a picture message from him while I was working. The pic included myself & my supervisor, & had been taken just moments before. I thought it was weird, & when I showed my supervisor, she got extremely upset & told me she doesn't want her pic on social media, that he doesn't have permission to take her picture, & to tell him to delete the pic & not do it again. I told him, & I eventually blocked the guy because I didn't like him. He wasn't very nice & I ended up blocking him from calling me.
My supervisor has been quite cold to me for months. She goes for weeks without speaking to me, & avoids eye contact. When I tried to speak to her she would avoid me, & if I really pushed it because I needed her feedback, she was curt or flat out rude to me. I requested on several occasions that we sit down & try to resolve our differences because it was disrupting my ability to do my job, & she, in order to (apparently) avoid me, was giving her special directions to my employees instead of talking to me about them.
So yesterday she gave one of my employees direction that was contrary to company policy. I insisted on a sit down meeting with her. I told her that I was really frustrated, that I dreaded having to work with her, but I knew we both wanted to do a good job & I really want to hash out what the problem is.
She told me that the man who took the pic of her & I came into our facility & told her, "I don't care what [my name] says, I don't think you're a bitch, I think you're nice & you're just trying to do your job".
She went on to say that it was at that point she realized how much animosity I had towards her. She said that she was in contact with an attorney because she isn't going to tolerate this slanderous & harrassing behavior. She said that she had obtained video of the incident, & there was much more to it.
I told her that I have nothing to do with that. I have no control over what someone else says. She repeatedly told me that I am the only connection between that man & her, & therefore it does involve me.
I told her that I didn't feel comfortable speaking any further. I'm a bit freaked out. I feel like that incident is why she's been acting so strangely towards me. I don't know if she's trying to say I slandered her...I'm concerned about it from a professional & legal standpoint. Any advice as to what I should do?

commentator

Pull away. And in the meantime be thinking about finding another job. Your supervisor in a "right to work" state can terminate you for just about any reason, including that they don't like you, or don't like the color of your socks. While this has not progressed to anywhere near this level, it has become a big issue.

Nothing is accomplished by repeated "let's have a confrontational meeting and clear the air here!" meetings. You've already discussed this situation with her about as much as you can. She can if she wants to, change the procedure for talking to your co workers and giving you instructions. A work situation does not have to be fair. She does not have to believe you regarding the incident with the man and the picture. If that makes the work situation impossible, you have the right to quit and find another job. In the meantime, do your job quietly and correctly and to the best of your abilities and maybe this situation will just die from lack of attention.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I know commentator knows this and it was just an oversight on her part, but it's not because it is a "right to work state" that you can be fired for any reason not prohibited by law. It's because you are in an employment-at-will state.

Right to work has to do with union membership and has nothing to do with your situation.

telechica

Ok. Thank you.
Do you feel I have any legal liability? Could she conceivably pursue a civil suit against me because some man said I called her a bitch?

cyjeff

Ok. Thank you.
Do you feel I have any legal liability? Could she conceivably pursue a civil suit against me because some man said I called her a bitch?
Probably not. I mean, she could sue but there really isn't anything to worry about. To succeed in a court case, you have to have been damaged. I don't see how your supervisor was monetarily damaged.

No, being offended is not damage. Neither is being photographed in a public place where she should have no expectation of privacy. This, of course, may change if pictures taken were improper or invasive.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
May I just hijack enough to welcome cyjeff back and tell him how much he's been missed?

cyjeff

May I just hijack enough to welcome cyjeff back and tell him how much he's been missed?
Just temporary, i'm afraid.

Let's just say the only way I could make the last year more interesting is if I had been on fire.

But thanks.

quincy

Ok. Thank you.
I can't remember in which state the defamation case was heard - it was either Pennsylvania or New Jersey - but the judge ruled that "bitch" was not defamatory because he said the woman who filed the suit really was a bitch. It was an interesting court opinion. If I locate it, I will post back with a link.

LdiJ

You know, if some random stranger started chatting with me and the said that he/she didn't understand why one of my underlings called me a bitch, I would have immediately realized that it was some disgruntled person trying to get my underling in trouble...and I would have let that disgruntled person know that...in spades.

Seriously? How is that not totally obvious? The ONLY reason why someone would do something like that is to cause problems for the person they accused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">