• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse of power in authoriative positions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stormstarter00

Texas, USA. Not sure if this is the proper place for this topic, but the other I attempted was not accepting new posts?! At any rate, case scenario: medical records staffing being forced to work mandated OT. Hidden agenda: company attempting to force employees to get "caught up" before going "live" for EMRs, then they will inadvertently LAY OFF these very associates they are implementing mandated OT. Is THIS LEGAL?! Federal or state.... TY :confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Barring a valid employment contract that states otherwise, yes, it's legal. Why would you think otherwise?

Silverplum

Texas, USA. Not sure if this is the proper place for this topic, but the other I attempted was not accepting new posts?! At any rate, case scenario: medical records staffing being forced to work mandated OT. Hidden agenda: company attempting to force employees to get "caught up" before going "live" for EMRs, then they will inadvertently LAY OFF these very associates they are implementing mandated OT. Is THIS LEGAL?! Federal or state.... TY :confused:
Are you asking if it's legal to lay off people who were previously working overtime? If so, the answer is no.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/work_schedules.html

Antigone*

Calm your storm, this has nothing to do with abuse of power. It's just the way business is sometimes done.

Silverplum

I'm confused - how did you read the information in that link and come to the conclusion that an employee that is working overtime cannot be laid off? :confused:
I didn't. I merely added the link to TX labor law for the OP's edification regarding OT.

Silverplum

I think SP means "are you asking if it's ILlegal...." Or else she means the answer is yes.

It IS legal to lay off people who were previously working overtime. Per SP's link.

Also per my signature.
Danged spelling error!

I see now what was the problem, and it was me. I meant it's not ILlegal, of course. Thanks, cbg!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">