• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accused of sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mslilyfrog

What is the name of your state? florida
My husband was called in his employers office, and accused of sexually harassing another person, this woman does not work for the company she is an owner of a company that is contracted to do work for his company, and she is there sometimes, they stated last week that a vehicle described like my husband was seen on the premises after hours which they still have people there until late hours(which he gets off work same time I do and was home same time as usual) and we did not go anywhere that night. also they stated that she claims he has been leaving notes on her car(which his employer states they dont have) and he has been following her when she was leaving the premises.(if she leaves the same time he did and happens to go to the only road that leads you to the interstate or altertnate roads, how can that be following) they told him they would not fire him this time and not to speak to anyone on the job about this, or if he does they would fire him on the spot. first of all she is not an employee and this so called following her was after hours and she is not an employee? how is this possible for them to humiliate him, and tell him not to speak to any other female on his job unless he goes thru his immediate supervisor?help

Beth3

The woman who is accusing your husband has a business relationship with his employer. Your husband's employer does have legal liabilty if an employee of theirs is harassing her.

It is entirely appropriate for your husband's employer to tell him not to discuss this with anyone. The employer has an obligation to keep complaints of prohibited discrimination confidential (to the extent possible) to protect the parties involved - the accuser and the accused. Besides, it's not going to do your husband's reputation any good for all his co-workers to know he's been accused of SH. Going around telling people of the false accusations and protesting his innocence will not help your husband. It'll just make him and the situation hot news on the rumor mill.

What I suggest your husband do is to talk to his manager or Human Resources and calmly discuss the situation. I also suggest you and your husband and perhaps the employer make a plan on how to avoid anymore false accusations. Let's assume the woman accusing him has taken a couple of innocent coincidences, such as him being behind her on the highway a couple of times, and constructed some grossly overblown scenario in her head.

Seems like an excellent option would be for you and your husband to car pool - with you doing the driving. Or him carpooling with a co-worker. That way, it will be impossible for her to alledge he's following her. It may be inconvenient for the two of you but it eliminates much of the basis of any future complaints. Your husband should also ask his employer that they request that if any more notes are left on her car, she should bring those to them immediately so they can investigate. In other words, shift some burden of proof of her allegations to her.

M

mslilyfrog

Thank you for the response, I think we might try the carpool. I was so upset about this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">