• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accused of sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grovetuckyohio

What is the name of your state?Ohio
I am a supervisor for a state agency. One of my employees was terminated at / during their mid-probation evaluation. Simply put, she didn't pass probation. The decision was not my decision alone, 2 Administrators above me and HR's Labor Relations were involved in the decision. She did not pass probation because she didn't follow procedures and protocols. (Didn't sign-in or out, didn't submit itineraries and travel orders, etc . . .).

She has now claimed that I sexually harassed her. She has made false allegations that are horrible and disgusting. (Claimed I asked her if she found me attractive, etc . . .).

She had talked about her recent divorce and since I am going through a similar situation, I told her that I understood some of what she was going through and talked to her a little about my own situation.

I was promoted to this position in December 2004 and this employee was actually my replacement. In her compliant, she mentioned a few things that I know I have said while I was in my previous position. These were comments made about our supervisor that were less they polite and I guess in hindsight, sexual in nature. She was not an employee at the time of these comments, and I did not make them in front of her, but I know that I did say them. Obviously someone told her about my comments. I don't know if I should admit to this, or how to handle it.

Since becoming a supervisor I completely understand that I can't pal around with the staff and things I said previously would be completely out of line now.

I will be interviewed by the EEO officer and I'm not sure how to handle this. 55 - 60 % of the complaint is complete fabrication, 25 % is twisting around comments that were made, and the other 15 - 20 percent is the truth, but a portion of that is comments I never made in front of this employee.

The most important fact for me is that I never, never made any comments and even implied that I was interested in her in any way other than as a co-worker/employee.

thanks in advance.

Beth3

The very best thing you can do is to be completely truthful. If you try and hedge things that happened or what you said, avoid answering questions directly, try to spin past events and so on, the investigator will sense that. He or she won't necessarily know what you're avoiding being candid about but they will know you are being less than forthcoming and that will lend weight to her accusations.

In many instances when dealing with SH complaints, the decision on the part of the company comes down to "who do we believe?" Your credibility in the investigator's eyes during the investigation is critical. Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">