• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accused of sexual harassment by 3rd party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eusair

me and this girl work closely together. we have become close; she has even been in my bed with me. she is conflicted, occasionally uncomfortable/uncertain, and indecisive b/c she has a boyfriend in another state. a third party reported me to management based on things she has said about our relationship. now I am being investigated for sexual harassment. the irony is that there is no victim. the girl is on my side. she doesn't believe that I sexually harassed her. what can my employer do? can they still find against me? what should I do?

Just Blue

me and this girl work closely together. we have become close; she has even been in my bed with me. she is conflicted, occasionally uncomfortable/uncertain, and indecisive b/c she has a boyfriend in another state. a third party reported me to management based on things she has said about our relationship. now I am being investigated for sexual harassment. the irony is that there is no victim. the girl is on my side. she doesn't believe that I sexually harassed her. what can my employer do? can they still find against me? what should I do?
U.S. Law Only.

justalayman

How is anyone to know you are in the US? You were asked what state this involves and you deleted the question. That question is posed because it is generally pertinent

Proserpina

They can fire you both to save time and hassle.

Has the young lady told her side of the story to HR?

eusair

They can fire you both to save time and hassle.

Has the young lady told her side of the story to HR?
fire us for what? there is no evidence that our relationship has impacted our work, nor anyone elses, b/c it hasn't.

yes, she has provided a statement, albeit under stressful circumstances and with imposed time constraints. I am waiting to give my statement to the investigator.

Last edited:

Proserpina

fire us for what? there is no evidence that our relationship has impacted our work, nor anyone elses, b/c it hasn't.

yes, she has provided a statement, albeit under stressful circumstances and with imposed time constraints. I am waiting to give my statement to the investigator.
Unless you live in Montana - and sometimes it's true for Montana too - they can fire you for no reason at all, or for any reason at all (your boss hates your blue socks) as long as it's not a Title VII violation.

(read here: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/titlevii.cfm )

eusair

alright, well, lets put the whole firing thing aside for the moment and focus on the upcoming investigation. should I try to find legal representation, or just trust the investigator to do right? does the close relationship I have with this girl mean anything? how about the fact that she is on my side? can I be found guilty of sexually harassing someone who does not believe that they were sexually harassed? the discomfort she expressed to the third party was related to the boyfriend, not an uncomfortable work environment. this third party, based on incomplete information, simply misinterpreted what they were told and, due to having a righteous, know-it-all personality, felt it necessary to report it.

so, how do I ensure that the investigator comes to understand this and the whole thing goes away?

Silverplum

alright, well, lets put the whole firing thing aside for the moment and focus on the upcoming investigation. should I try to find legal representation, or just trust the investigator to do right? does the close relationship I have with this girl mean anything? how about the fact that she is on my side? can I be found guilty of sexually harassing someone who does not believe that they were sexually harassed? the discomfort she expressed to the third party was related to the boyfriend, not an uncomfortable work environment. this third party, based on incomplete information, simply misinterpreted what they were told and, due to having a righteous, know-it-all personality, felt it necessary to report it.

so, how do I ensure that the investigator comes to understand this and the whole thing goes away?
Considering you can't follow simple directions and don't respond to repeated requests for basic information, I'd say you need at least one attorney.

Proserpina

Oh. Then be sure to tell the investigator that the third party is a righteous know-it-all.

That'll go down well.

Son, something tells me you're getting played here. I don't think your lady friend has been quite as Team Eusair as she's led you to believe ...

eusair

Oh. Then be sure to tell the investigator that the third party is a righteous know-it-all.

That'll go down well.

Son, something tells me you're getting played here. I don't think your lady friend has been quite as Team Eusair as she's led you to believe ...

wow. I try to paint an accurate picture of my situation and this is the kind of response that I get?

look, she isn't breaking up with the boyfriend just yet, but she is broken up about the situation too. I haven't misread her.

Just Blue

wow. I try to paint an accurate picture of my situation and this is the kind of response that I get?

look, she isn't breaking up with the boyfriend just yet, but she is broken up about the situation too. I haven't misread her.
Pay an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">