• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age dicrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My opinion (at the age of 56, with a 61 year old husband who has been deaf since he was far younger than you are) is that you are stretching so far to try to make a case for illegal discrimination that you're about to fall on your backside.

LdiJ

My opinion (at the age of 56, with a 61 year old husband who has been deaf since he was far younger than you are) is that you are stretching so far to try to make a case for illegal discrimination that you're about to fall on your backside.
Huh? The OP stated that his hearing was checked out...

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
See also:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/hiring-firing-wrongful-termination-5/position-duties-changing-accountability-598389.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/job-discrimination-harassment-30/right-have-safe-work-enviroment-589658.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/job-discrimination-harassment-30/discrimination-583629.html

:cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether he did or did not have his hearing checked is irrelevant to whether he has a case for age discrimination. Based on what he has posted, I do not believe he has.

choopes

See also:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/hiring-firing-wrongful-termination-5/position-duties-changing-accountability-598389.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/job-discrimination-harassment-30/right-have-safe-work-enviroment-589658.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/job-discrimination-harassment-30/discrimination-583629.html

:cool:
Kindly answer my question on it's own merit. Not on previous posts. I've asked questions here before. So what?

choopes

Is treating someone differently because of minor hearing loss, due to age, age discrimination? I'm sure I could find stats to quote. But isn't it pretty common knowledge that hearing loss in younger people is rare,but almost all people suffer some loss as they age? Still you think it would be a risky endeavor?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Al. Could a perceived hearing loss be an indication of age discrimination? Let me explain. I work in state government. Full time permanent status at this job has a value, so I don't think it is an "at will" situation, but I'm not sure how to determine this definitively. My supervisor gives ambiguous directives, and does not allow me to ask question to gain a clear understanding. Small wonder things don't always get done exactly the way he wants. He attributes this to mis-communication. He thinks I have a hearing problem, and refuses to communicate any way but verbally. He even ordered me to have my hearing checked. I visited an audiologist and ear doctor at my own expense. My hearing checks fine. I brought him documented proof. There is some minor hearing loss at certain middle frequency ranges, but the dr. notes this is normal at my age, and that I don't need a hearing aid. I am 59. I may need one when I am older, but not now. My supervisor noted a hearing loss on my last evaluation. Because it is a known medical fact, and common sense fact that some hearing loss is quite normal as humans age, I believe my boss would prefer a younger worker. One with younger ears. I believe the last evaluation is documented proof of this. What is your opinion?
Thank you for your time and thought on this matter.
How many years till you can retire?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is treating someone differently because of minor hearing loss, due to age, age discrimination? I'm sure I could find stats to quote. But isn't it pretty common knowledge that hearing loss in younger people is rare,but almost all people suffer some loss as they age? Still you think it would be a risky endeavor?
No. Treating someone differently because of minor hearing losses is not age discrimination. There are babies born deaf. There are people who have perfect hearing at 90.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Al. Could a perceived hearing loss be an indication of age discrimination? Let me explain. I work in state government. Full time permanent status at this job has a value, so I don't think it is an "at will" situation, but I'm not sure how to determine this definitively. My supervisor gives ambiguous directives, and does not allow me to ask question to gain a clear understanding. Small wonder things don't always get done exactly the way he wants. He attributes this to mis-communication. He thinks I have a hearing problem, and refuses to communicate any way but verbally. He even ordered me to have my hearing checked. I visited an audiologist and ear doctor at my own expense. My hearing checks fine. I brought him documented proof. There is some minor hearing loss at certain middle frequency ranges, but the dr. notes this is normal at my age, and that I don't need a hearing aid. I am 59. I may need one when I am older, but not now. My supervisor noted a hearing loss on my last evaluation. Because it is a known medical fact, and common sense fact that some hearing loss is quite normal as humans age, I believe my boss would prefer a younger worker. One with younger ears. I believe the last evaluation is documented proof of this. What is your opinion?
Thank you for your time and thought on this matter.
After reviewing the posting history, Q4P

commentator

I spent a long post on your previous questions about being discriminated against by telling you that when you work for the state, you do not go through your one supervisor to handle all issues, and if you feel you are being treated unfairly or being singled out because you are handicapped you discuss this matter with your EEOC compliance officer, your HR, and all those entities. You said before that your supervisor had "forbidden you to go higher." This time you said he "ordered you to get a hearing test." I can't imagine that this would be appropriate behavior for a supervisor in any type of state employment. So take it to the next level. Instead of just asking if we think you have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">