• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelokay

Hi, I work in a shift based job. Most of the girls who work in my area are much younger than me and very clicky and friendly with each other.
since i started about 8 weeks ago i have been messed around week after week with them making demands to work together and my shift being moved last minute because of this. ~I have said that i understand in the job things have to change every so often and im ok with that, but not when its for an unreasonable reason such as them wanting to work together! They have asked and I have said no to changing shifts and so they then start causing hassle and making demands to get their own way, even blackmailing saying they wont work unless they get to work together.
When i have brought up my griefance i keep getting told that they are young and i should make allowances for their childish behaviour! I find this shocking that they are allowed to get away with such behaviour and im being told as im older i know better than to be like that but should understand they are young and dont have my life experience! serious?
I agreed to work on my day off until they started playing up and I said i didnt want the grief and i would just have my day off and i was put on a guilt trip and my reasons not to work were questioned even though one of these young girls claimed she had no car this day and even though having a car is part of the job she wasnt even questioned over it even tho it was her agreed hours to work! yet i was questioned and offered alternatives to try and make me work my day off!
i feel i am being treated unfairly based on being older.. or am i over reacting?

this has happened every week since i started!

Proserpina

Hi, I work in a shift based job. Most of the girls who work in my area are much younger than me and very clicky and friendly with each other.
since i started about 8 weeks ago i have been messed around week after week with them making demands to work together and my shift being moved last minute because of this. ~I have said that i understand in the job things have to change every so often and im ok with that, but not when its for an unreasonable reason such as them wanting to work together! They have asked and I have said no to changing shifts and so they then start causing hassle and making demands to get their own way, even blackmailing saying they wont work unless they get to work together.
When i have brought up my griefance i keep getting told that they are young and i should make allowances for their childish behaviour! I find this shocking that they are allowed to get away with such behaviour and im being told as im older i know better than to be like that but should understand they are young and dont have my life experience! serious?
I agreed to work on my day off until they started playing up and I said i didnt want the grief and i would just have my day off and i was put on a guilt trip and my reasons not to work were questioned even though one of these young girls claimed she had no car this day and even though having a car is part of the job she wasnt even questioned over it even tho it was her agreed hours to work! yet i was questioned and offered alternatives to try and make me work my day off!
i feel i am being treated unfairly based on being older.. or am i over reacting?

this has happened every week since i started!

How old are you? There's a reason I'm asking.

And where are you located?

Proserpina

OP - if you're in the UK, this forum cannot help you.

(I might be assuming much, but from the language and spelling - seems UK to me ;) )

shelokay

Oh and US LAW ONLY. You have extra U's in your spelling.
U's in my spelling?? u feeling ok mate?

sorry i didnt realise discrimination was something different around the world.. i wasnt looking for legal advice.. just friendly advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under US Federal law and under a great many state laws, this would not be age discrimination by definition. Under Federal law and under the laws of most (not quite all) states, age discrimination begins at 40. If you're under 40, then it's not illegal age discrimination even if you have a signed and notarized confession that the sole reason for the adverse treatment is your age.

There are a few states where this is not true. But not that many.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
U's in my spelling?? u feeling ok mate?

sorry i didnt realise discrimination was something different around the world.. i wasnt looking for legal advice.. just friendly advice.
In the US, it's not even necessarily the same from state to state.

(I approve of your extra u's)

shelokay

Under US Federal law and under a great many state laws, this would not be age discrimination by definition. Under Federal law and under the laws of most (not quite all) states, age discrimination begins at 40. If you're under 40, then it's not illegal age discrimination even if you have a signed and notarized confession that the sole reason for the adverse treatment is your age.

There are a few states where this is not true. But not that many.
wow ok.. i dont think that applies over here.. i have read that you cannot be treated differently or unfairly based on age. i have found a uk forum now tho

shelokay

There is no U in Behavior.
well we have already established im from the UK not the US and we have different ways of spelling.. but i cant see how my ability to spell has any reflection on the question i asked, I question your ability to be able to answer peoples questions fairly with such an ooutlook on life!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">