• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age Discrimination? I know the Players.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?CA
My previous company relocated out of state and left about 200 of us, unemployeed. I applied for a job with a similar company that posted a position that was almost exactly what I did for 8 years at my previous company. It was a new department and I would have been the first analyst to this department. I had a phone interview and four seperet interviews after that. They loved my experience and kept wanting to proceed. They even took notes on the information I had that could improve their new department. After the fourth interview, I get an e-mail saying that they are unable to offer me a position. I later found out that they hired a former co-worker of mine that has a fraction of my experience, just a high school diploma (job asked for college degree which I have) and she is 26 (and I am 55). I have 28 years of a financial background and this girl had 6. This company is always posting new positions for the same and similar jobs. A few months after, I applied for a similar position that I found, after researching was considered an "entry level position". I was contacted for a phone interview. Again, they loved my experience and wanted to move forward. The next day, I get an e-mail that stated my background was forwarded to the hiring manager and he said that I'd "interviewed with the company in the past and I do not have the background to support the position". How could I not? How did I have it the day before during the phone interview? I know the girl they hired and her work ethic. Frustrating!!
Mostly just venting but curious about thoughts. Somehow, I expect to get lamb basted (and I don't know why).
Thanks

justalayman

it could be the age but given the huge difference in your age and that of the person hired and your experience and the person hired, it could be that they did not want to pay what you required and settled for her less experience. It happens a lot when a skilled employee seeks work.

the fact you were given so many interviews the first time around, I would suspect it was something other than age. If age was the issue, you likely would not have made it beyond the first interview.

commentator

And sadly, there's not a whole lot of recourse for you even though you are very very sure you're not being hired due to your age. So many of the people who are long term employed with a company, and then lose their jobs when they are over 50 are the ones who are long term unemployed, you know, the ones who are supposedly "milking the system'and using up our tax dollars with their long term federal extended benefits.

The truth is, even without a modicum of experience and less education than you have, your younger former co worker is much more likely to be re-employed quickly than you. And there's nothing illegal about what is happening. It's just the reality of the workplace in this time and place.

They look at how many years you'll have left to give them, how much you were making previously (the over qualified part of the equation), the fact that older and usually more confident workers are more apt to be outspoken and may intimidate their younger staff and supervisors, you may not be as technically adept, or as flexible, or that you may have more potential health issues, may cost them more to insure, may have to be out of work due to illness more than a younger person. And they'll give you ever reason in the world and it's impossible to nail them down to ageism, but you will have a lot harder time finding another job. You will have to deal with all these issues and reassure potential employers that you will have none of these problems if they do hire you. You have to come across as much more positive and energetic and bright than the competition, regardless of age. I agree, if age was really the reason you were not hired at the job you discuss, you wouldn't have gotten as many call backs as you did.

Good luck to you in your job search.

Torakki

Yes, well said. My sister does book keeping for a couple companies and told me that if a company hires a 25 year old, they pay around $200 a month in health benifits but if they hire a 55 year old, it's more like $700. Not sure how accurate those figures are but makes sense. And it's so frustrating, I'm probably in better shape than those young ones. I run at least twice a week and never call in sick while the young ones have to study for a test, or nice day, mental day, sick child, sick spouse, live with their parents and call at the drop of a hat. I have a mortgage and the bills are important and strive to keep my record clean.
I feel like I should have gotten a consultation fee since in the interviews, they were taking notes (right in front of me) say, "Oh, we don't have that". And then writing it down.
I recently applied at a chain store and fast food place. The fast food place said I was over qualified for everything there and why would I stay after they spent money training me? I guess, most of what I'm saying is just FYI for the next guy to come along.
I have 2 months of my 6 month benefits left and have applied for about 80 positions (that I think I qualify for) and have had interviews with 2 companies. I've heard some of my younger (and married), former co-workers, say that they wanted to enjoy the time off and relax a bit before looking for work (milking the system) while the responsible employees are stressed out. I'm in the single and stressed category.

Thanks for the responses and letting me vent. I feel better letting it out.
Have a nice New Year!!!!

commentator

Quote: "I'm probably in better shape than those young ones. I run at least twice a week and never call in sick ... I have a mortgage and the bills are important and strive to keep my record clean."

Try to work this information into any and all interviews you get. Be extra peppy and energetic, keep your voice strong and energetic. My hubby was even advised to color his hair! And consultants always tell slightly out of shape 50-plussers to get their weight down and exude healthiness. Of course you know all this stuff, like eliminating the dates you completed your educational activities, emphasizing the types of work you've done (not the duration of these jobs) on first glance at the old resume, shaving off a couple of the real early ones.

And eventually, it comes down to a numbers game. At 50+ you just have to swing at more balls before you knock it out of the park. One of my friends has just found a new job after a year long stint of unemployment, at age 64, with a 100Kplus background, but he got really discouraged, and had probably three or four interviews a month, went at it harder than you can imagine. The big box stores wouldn't touch him either. It has finally paid off. I hope this will work out okay for you and that you'll find new employment in 2014 that's what you want and need.

Torakki

Thank you commentator. Yes, I think about working in "Healthy Lifestyle" and important things like "Good Credit" into the interview without feeling like I'm throwing the young ones under the bus. And the two interviews I did have, it was for jobs I know, so I could explain and discuss in detail and felt comfortable with all the questions. So the smiles came out and a little sense of humor also (not too much).

I also have eliminated dates of employment from my resume, after going back and fourth with the experts. My former company had their HR person review every ones resume before our last days. I also go to a "one stop, career center" that has resume classes, networking clubs, interview classes and so on. And when it comes to my hair, I would like to have a little more pepper with my salt.

I really appreciate the info on the 64 year old that found work. I believe it's the "needle in a haystack" I'm looking for. That one position that will want and appreciate me.

Sorry to turn this legal site into a therapy session. Hopefully, it will help others too.

Thanks,
Bob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">