• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age Discrimination in Interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

premedstudent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am a 41 year old mother of two. I recently applied, (July 2012), for a food service position at a GA college. The ad was on Craiglist and this is a large corporation, (over 500 employees). The ad didn't specify that they were looking for students to apply and had the EOE clause listed in it so I attended the job fair.

They gave me an on the spot interview and the manager focused on my age the entire interview. She said that they usually hire students because they don't want a lot of hours. I told her that I wouldn't have a problem with hours. She also told me that they send workers home and the younger workers don't have a problem with going home early. I told her that I wouldn't have a problem and she said that because I was a grown woman that she thinks I would have a problem even though I told her I wouldn't.

I've never been called a "grown woman" in an interview before. She also ended the interview saying that she'd put a "star" on my application and that it was nice talking to me. I have never felt so bad at a job interview in my life. :( Any suggestions on who I need to call? Should I file a complaint? Thanks for your advice.

tranquility

While I'd wait to see the result, it certainly seems discriminatory without being a bona fide occupational qualification.

OHRoadwarrior

I don't know that it was necessarily age discrimination. It seems their positions are set up to cater to college students. As there are 41 year old college students, it does not appear age was an issue, social standing was.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Wait and see if you get the job. If you do, there's really nothing more to be said.

premedstudent

Thank you all for your responses. I didn't get the job. They had the orientation a few weeks ago. They only hired young students and one that I know off doesn't have any experience.

I called the local EEOC office and one of the interviewers told me that they would an investigation and possibly grant me a right to sue. Please note that I told them the entire story, while I just gave you guys the mini details. :)

While I don't mind being called a grown woman as a compliment, when a job interviewer does it to just assume that I will act in a certain way on a job, it is insulting and also against federal employment laws.

I am filing my formal complaint against them and will let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you only give minimal details, you can only expect minimal responses. If you gave the EEOC details you did not give us, you can hardly blame us for reaching different conclusions.

premedstudent

When you only give minimal details, you can only expect minimal responses. If you gave the EEOC details you did not give us, you can hardly blame us for reaching different conclusions.
Not blaming anyone for their conclusion. My response was more toward the person that said they would take being called a grown woman a compliment. I would have took it as a compliment too if it wasn't preceded by:

"we normally hire students because they don't complain about hours. We also send them home early. You're a grown woman and you would be wanting hours."

My fault for not including that. It was the statement that the EEOC said was definitely inappropriate.

premedstudent

You might get a part time job out of it.:)
Interesting that you should say that. I faxed in the complaint yesterday and the EEOC called them. Today they asked me to come in after the holiday for another interview with someone else. Its not the job that I applied for however. I'll think about it over the long weekend.

justalayman

"we normally hire students because they don't complain about hours. We also send them home early. You're a grown woman and you would be wanting hours."

My fault for not including that. It was the statement that the EEOC said was definitely inappropriate.
It's inappropriate for the prospective employer to attempt to give you fair warning they treat their employees, which are typically young students, like that?

They made an assumption about you based on your apparent age that they believed you would prefer to be told. While you complain they made a point of you being older, you obviously are not aware of how many people your age react to being treated as they described. You surely realize that a 41 yo with children assuredly has more expenses than a college kid. It is not improper for an employer to consider the fact they may not be providing you with what they think you need and as such, you will either be very temporary or dissatisfied working for them.

but honestly, I suspect somebody isn't being truthful here. With a use name like "premedstudent" I suspect this is a class assignment and not a real situation. If you want to be discriminated against, just try being a premed student at 41. When you apply to med school, your interview described in this thread is going to look like welcome home from the war day.

I think the particular age chosen is a clue as well. You are just over the age the law applies to but not so old there would be physical limitations that might prevent you from performing the job well.

Beyond that, your responses themselves are actually a problem as well:

She said that they usually hire students because they don't want a lot of hours. I told her that I wouldn't have a problem with hours.
maybe they were looking for somebody to say; well dammit, I want all the hours you can give me. Instead, you told the interviewer you really don't care if you work at all.

She also told me that they send workers home and the younger workers don't have a problem with going home early. I told her that I wouldn't have a problem and she said that because I was a grown woman that she thinks I would have a problem even though I told her I wouldn't.
again; no problem with not working. When I take a job, it's to earn money. From your answers, it would appear you couldn't care less if you actually worked at all. Maybe, just maybe, they want somebody that actually does want to work. The questions could have simply been created to elicit a response to determine whether a person actually wants to work or not.

OHRoadwarrior

I think the person handling the interviews did so in a poor, unprofessional, manner. If OP were to attempt to get a freebie out of it, I would question her motives. It appears she wants a job. I think they owe her that as it appears they have an excess of them anyway.

As someone who has had phone interviews, where they were told they are not good enough to work for company X, because they are disabled, not because the company could not easily accommodate the disability, I can see the fairness in her accepting one if offered.

premedstudent

@justalayman

I am not doing a student project, although I am Pre-Med -- yes, in my 40's, I take E-Core classes. Its time for a career change in this economy. I am a very hard worker. The interview questions where never focused on my work experience, etc. It was all about how it was much easier for them to tell a 18 or 19 year old that they cold go home if they wanted to and not have them complain. I was simply telling them that I would not complain about lack of hours, but not that I wouldn't work at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">