• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anti-Competitive Actions By Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phuongt31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi -

Can an employer make agreements with competitors as to not recruit/hire eachother's employees? At the same, not pay their employees market wages?

Hi -

Can an employer make agreements with competitors as to not recruit/hire eachother's employees? At the same, not pay their employees market wages?
Yes and yes, as long as 'market' wages come out to the employee receiving at the least minimum wage.

..__________________________
~ Those who cannot hear an angry shout,
may strain to hear a whisper.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Hi -

Yes, they can, within certain limits. I've even known of one case where the court ordered such an agreement.

Are the not-market wages above minimum wage? If so, they can do that too.

phuongt31

Thank you for the opinions.

What are the "certain limits" to which they can agree to not recruit each other's employees?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's usually some kind of limitation. If Company A and Company B have such an agreement, and you leave company A and go to work for Company C, and then you leave Company C and want to work for Company B, the agreement between A and B should not preclude your doing so in that case. A can't prevent you going to work for B FOREVER, but B can be stopped from raiding A for employees.

phuongt31

Okay -

Thank you again for your explanation. Although, it is definitely not what I expected to hear, but from the clarity in explanation, your opinion sounds very credible.

Have a great day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">