• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

asked to pay more for a company car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scottc

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello, I have been told by my employer that he will be charging me an extra fee for my company supplied car because I put more "personal" miles on it than anybody else. I currently report all of my personal mileage and pay for the corresponsding gas. He is telling me this "fee" will be some kind of depreciation fee and that i will have to pay the taxes on it? Not sure. All I know is he is going to make me PAY for something that no other person pays for because they have second cars and dont put as many persoanl miles on the car? is this discrimination?? Or just a jerk.

P.S. This has never come up in two years and he announced that it will be in effect by the end of the month.

Thanks all.:eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is in no way illegal discrimination. He is not asking you to pay the extra fee because of your race, or your age, or your gender. He is asking you to pay it because you are putting more personal miles on the car than the others.

What he can and cannot ask you to pay with regards to taxes on this issue is something I'll let someone else address. But this is not an illegal discrimination case by a long shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">