• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

audio taping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Paula M Abel

My state is Washington I work for the dot Marine division Is it legal in my state to audio tape employees conversation with out their consent?

Last edited:

S

Sinsaint26

This is kind of a difficult answer to adress. If you were recording conversations over the phone you would need every persons' consent. And although you may not be taping a phone conversation, some courts will hold you to that standard. An exeption can be made if the person doing the taping can show that the recordings were made to prove harassment or discriminatory statements that otherwise would not be made if the parties involved knew of the recordings and that the recordings were made because the person felt the recordings would be evidence in a lawsuit. Usually, the person making the recordings must show that the tapes were made as a last ditch effort to prove wrong doing that could otherwise not be proven.

On the flip side, an employer has the right to tape any phone call that is related to business (once the employer realizes the phone call is personal the must stop listening or recording) and can audio or video tape in any public area, which means any area where you have no expectation of privacey. In other words, the restrooms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">