• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkm1138

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio - the advisor is not in Ohio

My former financial advisor was having an affair with my wife, I have informed the firm of the affair and they seemed to want to do nothing. I am in therapy for PTSD caused by the affair. Can I accuse my former advisor through his firm of sexual harassment? He caused me psychological pain due to his affair with my wife? My goal is to have his firm launch a complete investigation which hope will expose his affair with my wife while we were clients. What course of action do you recommend to insure an investigation of his actions will be taken?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio - the advisor is not in Ohio

My former financial advisor was having an affair with my wife, I have informed the firm of the affair and they seemed to want to do nothing. I am in therapy for PTSD caused by the affair. Can I accuse my former advisor through his firm of sexual harassment? He caused me psychological pain due to his affair with my wife? My goal is to have his firm launch a complete investigation which hope will expose his affair with my wife while we were clients. What course of action do you recommend to insure an investigation of his actions will be taken?
The legal action you are seeking is not against your former financial advisor, it is against your wife, and it is called a divorce. I recommend you find a good divorce attorney.

Other than that, you have no legal course of action against the FA.

CourtClerk

The psychological pain was caused by your wife. You'd have this pain regardless of who she had sex with.

sandyclaus

Seriously?

Your wife is at fault, as she was the one who chose to enter into a sexual relationship outside of your marriage.

The FA may have had ethical issues with dating a client's spouse, but that is between he, his conscience, and and his employer. If they choose to nothing, there is nothing YOU can do to force their hand. It's also not sexual harassment if your wife doesn't make that claim herself (which, as it appears, isn't happening).

As for the alleged psychological pain and so-called PTSD? Really? You'd be suffering through that regardless of the person that your wife chose to have an affair with.

I definitely DO think you need to get into counseling. And seek the learned counsel of a good divorce attorney.

LdiJ

Seriously?

Your wife is at fault, as she was the one who chose to enter into a sexual relationship outside of your marriage.

The FA may have had ethical issues with dating a client's spouse, but that is between he, his conscience, and and his employer. If they choose to nothing, there is nothing YOU can do to force their hand. It's also not sexual harassment if your wife doesn't make that claim herself (which, as it appears, isn't happening).

As for the alleged psychological pain and so-called PTSD? Really? You'd be suffering through that regardless of the person that your wife chose to have an affair with.

I definitely DO think you need to get into counseling. And seek the learned counsel of a good divorce attorney.
Re the bolded: I don't think its sexual harassment even if the wife were to make the claim. Sexual harassment requires either an element of authority over the person in question or at least an atmosphere where the person is somewhat trapped (ie a job that they need). Wife would have suffered no reprecussions had she chosen to simply walk away from the FA. He had no authority over her nor was she trapped in a situation where she could not avoid him.

tranquility

After a quick search, alienation of affection was removed as a tort in Ohio in 1978. Later cases tried to change it to intentional infliction of emotional distress (which won a few times), but the appellate courts struck those down as well. While there may be many reasons why this is the case, the bottom line is the financial advisor did not commit a tort against the OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">